Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By jadeydrag0117
#328910 is there a certain amount of time thats TOO LONG to wait after you lay down your color coat or clear coat when your waiting for it to dry so you can buff / hit it with high grits?

or is it the longer the better?
+ extra; how dry should it be , is there formula that takes temperature + time into account for this?
By Graham
#328927 Once its painted in theory it can be baked then flattened and polished as soon as its cooled down, but you can flatten and polish a car thats still got the factory paint - its just alot tougher and more work. Personally i prefer waiting till its properly hardened than trying to rush it when the paints still soft
By jadeydrag0117
Graham wrote:Once its painted in theory it can be baked then flattened and polished as soon as its cooled down, but you can flatten and polish a car thats still got the factory paint - its just alot tougher and more work. Personally i prefer waiting till its properly hardened than trying to rush it when the paints still soft

properly hardened ... generally meaning..? 24hrs?

thnks

i always get to excited to start sanding my color coat on anything i do and also getting carried away with my wet coats.

so when i sand early i end up sanding wet paint. :thumbdown:

I was trying to get an ideas of making sure my paint is dry. as for laying down a wet coat i will just figure out over time.
By HaydenSI
#329136 Depending on the weather and temperature I generally wait about 2 weeks to make sure that everything has settled and hardened like it has supposed to. You can wait longer or shorter but I have found that 2 weeks (again depending on temperature) is a good safe zone.
By Brandonthesmith
#329140 if you use a medium speed drying clear like we do at my job you can buff it in a few hours with the proper heating and a good temperature (we paint cars outside with no tents just spray guns and shop heaters) but the best length of time for clear to fully cure is usually 1week.
By jadeydrag0117
HaydenSI wrote:Depending on the weather and temperature I generally wait about 2 weeks to make sure that everything has settled and hardened like it has supposed to. You can wait longer or shorter but I have found that 2 weeks (again depending on temperature) is a good safe zone.

Brandonthesmith wrote:if you use a medium speed drying clear like we do at my job you can buff it in a few hours with the proper heating and a good temperature (we paint cars outside with no tents just spray guns and shop heaters) but the best length of time for clear to fully cure is usually 1week.

WAIT u guys are saying wait one week before wetsanding?
By HaydenSI
#329179 Like I said it really depends. But 2 weeks is my safe zone.
By nd1983
#329183 at school for body work they suggest 2 weeks during the summer 80-100f weather, winter we suggest a month.
By jadeydrag0117
nd1983 wrote:at school for body work they suggest 2 weeks during the summer 80-100f weather, winter we suggest a month.

2 weeks 80-100f weather to westand??
i live in san francisco california always about 60 def here thats going to take so long lol