Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By jadeydrag0117
#327199 if you want to repaint the car do you got to strip the oem paint/ paint job down to the primer?? or should you go to bare metal and redo the whole thing?
By rustyrex
#327200 It depends on the amount of body work you want/need to do and the condition of the factory paint.
By jadeydrag0117
rustyrex wrote:It depends on the amount of body work you want/need to do and the condition of the factory paint.

wait why would the body work matter? if i was doing dents id strip it down around the dented area to metal, and then bondo + prime that area.

ok so say there was a few small dents every where. what would i do?
By rustyrex
#327202 If the car looks like the surface of a golf ball I would personally want it stripped to metal. And the body work matters for that reason. If there are a ton if dents or even deep scratches its easier to strip the car all at once then do the body work instead of grinding each little area. Plus if you strip the car you know there won't be and compatibility problems between products. As long as you use the same manufacturer.
By jadeydrag0117
rustyrex wrote:If the car looks like the surface of a golf ball I would personally want it stripped to metal. And the body work matters for that reason. If there are a ton if dents or even deep scratches its easier to strip the car all at once then do the body work instead of grinding each little area. Plus if you strip the car you know there won't be and compatibility problems between products. As long as you use the same manufacturer.

nice that makes sense. ugghh but striping the entire car down to metal would be a pain! :x id have to get a big ass grander huh? or could i hit it with really low grit?

but actually i was planning on taking it apart and doing sections i could just take some parts down to metal and some parts down to primer... and that would be alot easier.
By rustyrex
#327204 You could use a grinder with like 32 grit pads or send it out for media blasting or use a chemical stripper.
By trackEG4
#327264 Tbh I wouldn't bother stripping the whole car down to metal.
If you do have the odd dent or deep scratch you can sand to bare metal on those areas fill and then use a high build primer to get the paint level again.
The whole car would have to be sanded with a fine grit paper to "key" the surface - this helps the new paint to stick. There would be plenty of other prep , remove mouldings , cover glass remove lights, indicators, side repeaters back tape the window seals etc.... Painting is not easy especially using rattle cans because the paint is much thinner.
By jadeydrag0117
trackEG4 wrote:Tbh I wouldn't bother stripping the whole car down to metal.
If you do have the odd dent or deep scratch you can sand to bare metal on those areas fill and then use a high build primer to get the paint level again.
The whole car would have to be sanded with a fine grit paper to "key" the surface - this helps the new paint to stick. There would be plenty of other prep , remove mouldings , cover glass remove lights, indicators, side repeaters back tape the window seals etc.... Painting is not easy especially using rattle cans because the paint is much thinner.

yeah, rattle can is easy if you have lots of time + take each part off the car and paint separate. like the quater panel / door/ roof/ trunk/ rear bumper/ front bumper / door jam/ front fender/ hood/ u can give attention to individual part and then better work into each part.
By reaperstk
#327764 U could go with sandblasting if you have a big enough compressor and wanted bare metal, and if you do have a big enough compressor you might as well paint it with a gun after
By jadeydrag0117
reaperstk wrote:U could go with sandblasting if you have a big enough compressor and wanted bare metal, and if you do have a big enough compressor you might as well paint it with a gun after

no don't have a compressor.
but sander and grinder is better b/c i would need to do body work anyways
so id get a tool that serves too parts of the project. I like old school style of body work anyways hand sand and perfecting opposed to quick "efficient" pro style fancy tools then done.

:thumb: