Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By jadeydrag0117
#323682 so say your plan is to go through after clear coat, with 1500 grit and then finish with 2000 grit then buff to get orange peel out, imperfections and to get a smooth feel.

so my question is how does that work when u sand after clear coat??? how does that get rid of orange peel and stuff?
what if the base coat has orange peel in it, wouldnt u have to sand through the clear coat to get to the orange peel which is in the base coat?

so would u sand the base coat then go over with clear coat then sand again???

sorry if unclear. lmk if you dont understand my question it was kinda hard to explain
By crazy-88
#324360 most of the time, the base coat will lay down flat, and the orange peel is on the clear. if u have orange peel on the base coat, and already put clear, u will always have a bit of orange peel looking paint, but ur clear will b smooth. that is if u buffed it out.

I'll try n find some pictures to post up. it happend to me on some small parts.
By jadeydrag0117
crazy-88 wrote:most of the time, the base coat will lay down flat, and the orange peel is on the clear. if u have orange peel on the base coat, and already put clear, u will always have a bit of orange peel looking paint, but ur clear will b smooth. that is if u buffed it out.

I'll try n find some pictures to post up. it happend to me on some small parts.

so shud i sand baase coat if theres orange peel in it and then sand clear also? to make sure smooth
By crazy-88
#324387 it really depends on the color. if it has any type of metallic to it, I would not sand it, as might change the way the color looks in the end.

otherwise, sand away. and most deff wet sand n buff the clear when u are done.
By jadeydrag0117
crazy-88 wrote:it really depends on the color. if it has any type of metallic to it, I would not sand it, as might change the way the color looks in the end.

otherwise, sand away. and most deff wet sand n buff the clear when u are done.

thanks