Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By sloww_eg6
#323209 I'm wanting to paint my valve cover and intake manifold before I put it on my car. Will I need hi temp paint for the intake manifold? I know I will need it for the valve cover but I'm unsure about the intake. Please reply. Thanks. :thumb:
By Apexracing
#323214 get them powder coated, easier and better finish :thumb:
By rustyrex
#323215 I used the self etching primer, sealer primer, base coat color and matte clear coat from whatever brand is sold at AutoZone. They will take direct heat up to 250 degree. My intake manifold and my valve cover have held up perfectly fine for a little over 3 years. I will post the brand of paint in a moment.
By rustyrex
#323216 I feel retarded. I've been up since 0930 yesterday. The paint brand is rustoleum. I can post pictures of my valve cover and my intake tube if you want. I have done a few other parts using the same method and paints, water outlet, thermostat housing, water pipe between thermo and water pump, the water pump, oil pump. I'm pretty sure if the paint will handle the heat being directly on the water and oil pump you will be fine with the intake a vc.
By Apexracing
#323217 i've painted my vc, And while it has held up for two years and still looks great. I will go powder coat next time for more color choices.
By sloww_eg6
#323218 I don't have the money for powdercoating. I'm on a tight budget being that I'm only 16 making minimum wage. I figured primer and high temp paint from autozone would be fine, being later in it's life my engine bay will be repaired and ill get a mini me swap and paint it. But thanks guys. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#323223 There's a couple of DIY valve cover paint jobs in the DIY list: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1474 :thumb:

I was told you can get by w/o using high heat for the valve cover but I would use engine enamel anyways, since it will be more resistant to chemicals.

I used the Duplicolor Engine Enamel, it is good to 500 or 550°F