Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By thomasEg
#322899 im paintin my 1992 civic dx hatch firethorne red pearl ive already purchase all of the paint and/primer/gun tape sand paper ive preped the car from sanding and bondo small dent leveled and aim painting it this weeked and am looking for tips on how to paint ss pearl and not screw it up i already know not to wet sand inbetween coats and not to buff but found this out after purchasing it just any info on how to not screw it up and aim not returning :?
By teal_dx
#322908 I don't have any experience with them but here's a couple of links:
http://carpaint.blogspot.com/2009/02/pearl-paint.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Pearl-Paint
By thomasEg
#322949 thanks for the links but i know what pearl does i jus wanna know the best way to paint it and it not come out all dull :?
By nd1983
#322973 2 stage. mix the pearl with the base colour and apply. then clear. if you really want to tri stage it you can but easier to screw up that way.
By thomasEg
#322993 its a single stage paint kit but thanks for the help
By HaydenSI
#322996 Just paint it nice and slow. You want to try and layer the paint on to give it the gloss color. I have only done pearl 2 times but the way i did it was to pretty much cut the car in half. Hood to the start of the bumper.. then bumper to start of hood. Paint in one big long stretch a light coat. Repeat until the paint has the desired effect and gloss. As for wet sanding. I would use an EXTREMELY high grit wet paper at the end.

Anyways I hoped this helped some.

EDIT: Oh and be sure to keep your hand at an even length from the car at al times. Get too close and the paint will be thicker in that area visa versa. Which with perl could orange peel effect.
By thomasEg
#323117 painted it today didn't come out to bad some orange peel but that's what I already expected good color I'll buff it in a month or two after its cured fully
By thomasEg
#323184 ok does any have tips on how to buff it good its a single stage pearl red in knowing that i want to do it by hand and bring a little more depth to it more gloss
By HaydenSI
thomasEg wrote:ok does any have tips on how to buff it good its a single stage pearl red in knowing that i want to do it by hand and bring a little more depth to it more gloss

Did you wet sand it yet?
By thomasEg
#323241 no cause ive been told not to and im waiting a little while for it to cure fully
By thomasEg
#323295 how do you post pics i took some
By thomasEg
#323315 Image
By thomasEg
#323316 ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage its a much deeeper red in the shade then a real red apple pearl in the sun looks great besides the orange pearl just need some info on gettin out orange peel with single stage pearl
By HaydenSI
#323330 May i ask what type of paint you used?

It should be full and well to wet sand if you use a high enough grit, applied a thick enough coat, and be gentle.