Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By rustydx
#320870 Hey everyone

Have a 94 dx that I picked up for 400 bucks. Been fixing up the body little by little cause it was beat to hell. the guy I got it from was being picked up all the time cause he was a dumb ass. So I want to paint it a different color before I drive it, to save the hassle. I live in Ohio and it's around 40 here right now. Now here is my question. If I set up like a canopy and run tarps all around it to enclose it.do you guys think it will dry? I plan on setting up heaters inside away from the tarps to help warm it up a bit. And no I don't have access to a garage or I would be using it.
By Brandonthesmith
#320872 yeah i'm actually an auto body painter and we only work outdoors though it doesn't get 40 in ga very often we still can paint in some pretty cold weather, theres even guys who do what we do in jersey in the dead of winter heat gun in one hand paint gun in the other so yeah man we don't even do a like tent thing we just walk around with shop heaters aimed at the cars but if you're setting up a booth with heaters you should be golden just check your local painters store for some polar accelerator use conservatively and make sure you heat that paint up good.
By rustydx
#320874 Great thank you for the information
By nd1983
#320875 i had a canvas garage thats 10' x 20'. 28F out, tossed a couple heaters in there then went to town. works just have to make sure you do it right
By FG2_Andrew
#320876 i was actually thinking about doing the same (except i have a garage i can use) but i will probably just primer it for now to keep the salt out the best i can and tackle painting and proper prep when spring rolls in. i mean hell, we've seen 50* in late summer and 70* in mid-fall. i imagine we will catch a warm day in late winter.
By rustydx
#320877 Ya I know what you mean..I just want to get it where I can drive it
By teal_dx
#320888 Andy, primer is porous. It will absorb water and rust will come through if you continue to drive with only primer on the metal. You might as well wait until spring and do the whole prep/paint job at once. Or heat that garage up and spray it now before it gets too cold out. You can always wet sand/polish next year when the weather is nice. :thumb:
By canibeateg
teal_dx wrote:Andy, primer is porous. It will absorb water and rust will come through if you continue to drive with only primer on the metal. You might as well wait until spring and do the whole prep/paint job at once. Or heat that garage up and spray it now before it gets too cold out. You can always wet sand/polish next year when the weather is nice. :thumb:

Good to know, my roof is flat black compared to the rest of my car which is glossy. I was gonna sand and prime the roof but I guess I'll hold off until the spring. Still got some minor rust to cover up as well !