Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By EGandMe
#312212 Hey everyone. So I decided to start my project ride- 92 dx hatch. I recently installed some 6000K Hids from hidextra (very good quality so far), and today my long awaited JDM style tail lights came in the mail! I had been looking everywhere without getting ripped off or shafted (andy'sautosport screwed me over big time..). Eventually they came up on Ebay (rokucreation[look him up]. Great shipping time and price) so I snatched em. Anyway, since it's one of my first projects I decided I'd post a DIY. I hope this actually helps someone.

My HIDS!

Here's the tail lights. They look so much cleaner and uniform then the oem ones imo. It's a very lusty red with a crystal clearness and I can't stress how much of a difference I feel it makes on my ride. Anywho.

ON TO THE DIY:

-I already did one side to give you a reference so we are going to be covering the right side starting with the inner tails then outer, but it's the same on both sides.

1. Usually when I do anything dealing with my electrical system I unplug the (+) battery terminal.

2. Open rear Hatch

3. Remove inner tail light housing cap.
- When you remove the cap, the first thing you will see is a gold screw and the tail light housing along with the bulb connector.

4. Remove bulb connector.
-You see where the flat head is at? Press that and GENTLY snug the connection loose tell it pops off.

5. Unscrew gold screw.
-I couldn't find my other screws so I just used my thin plier and unscrewed C-Clockwise. A few good rotations should be good enough for you to use your hands, but get accustomed to being careful with those screws that you don't drop them in your car...that would suck and the light fixture would be exposed to water damage.

6. Unscrew fatty screws
-See them there screws? Grab your fatty pliers and turn them C-Clockwise till you can unscrew with your fingers. Hold the tail lights once you unscrew everything just in case...although I highly doubt they'll just pop-out if this is your first time.

7. Take tail light off
-I just took my flat head and lightly wedged it and it came out like a newborn.

8. Clean off the nasty 20 year old gunk before installing your new tail lights...seriously that stuff is nasty.

9. Remove Old housing.
-Top is OEM, bottom is New. Remember the positioning of the lights so you don't accidentally switch their spots.
-My OEMS were stuck in a hole contraption thingy majigger. Just take the pliers and squeeze the red butt-pluggy thing as you push and it should come out.

10. Install into New housing.
-Just plop the new ones in (LEAVE FOAM PAD ON) and only screw the gold screw in lightly just enough to hold. Leave it be and let's move onto the outer tail light(which sucked the most).

11.Outer Tail light... More screws (visible screws)
-Uncap the plastic cover located under the outer tail light housing and you will see 2 gold screws just sitting there. If you can access them use your thin pliers to GENTLY unscrew them. be very careful with these ones because they can drop into the car.

12. 2 more Screws (not visible)
-This is probably the most annoying part of the project. Now, if you want to access the inner screws and do a super clean job you would have to remove the side lining panel (as far as I know. If you have an easier method do tell). I did it on the left side and it took me awhile and I wasn't able to get it quite back to where it was originally, so for this side I got lazy. If your down for a little tear then just go grab a saw or a pocket knife and gently make a 3-4 inch cut. It should reveal the remaining 2 screws. Unscrew them.

13. Almost Home
-Same process of swapping the housing. PLUG AND PLAY!!!!

14. Test the turn signals
-Plug your battery back and make sure everything works.

15. Screw It
Screw everything in snug

16. Water Test(Optional)
- To make sure theres no water leakage I dump some water around the housing. Unscrew the tail lights again and check to see there's no water in the housing. If not your good.

16. Final Screwing
-Screw everything back on fairly snug.

BEFORE:
AFTER:

Good stuff. Now I just need to get my sound system installed, some tint, rims, and I'm good :)
By dakkri
#343196 Thank you for the info. I hadn't found any info out there on how to remove the outer tail lights on my 94 VX and this seems to fit the bill.
By Graham
#343258 Im all for DIY's but advising people to cut their interior to change a light :/ also you shouldnt pry them out like that against the paint, itll more than likely mark or chip the edge of the light. Once the 8mm nuts are out just tap it with your hand from inside and use your other hand to catch it as it comes out