Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By chrono404
#309386 I have wondered what Plastidip will take in terms of abuse and Day to day life. Therefore I am going to be doing a Torture Test on it and seeing what happens.

Below is whats going to be abused. Its the stock grill off my Old Electronic Blue Pearl 99 EK Hatch that I replaced with an CTR Grill. I has three coats of Black Plastidip and half of it has 5 coats Duplicolor Clear coat as it was shitting on a shelf from a previous project.

The Normal Clear coat works just fine on Plasti-dip and gives it a nice glossy finish.

I Plan on the following tests:
- Dropping rocks on it to simulate rock chips
- Attempting to Wash it and seeing how the Plastidip reacts to wash gloves and the like.
- Dropping it on to a Paved Road
- How does it react to heat (from a heat gun)
- What ever tests you guys can think of.
- And the Final test, Removing the [Remaining] Plastidip and seeing if the clear coat makes it harder to remove.

- User Provided Tests:
92civic_vx wrote:i wonder how it holds up against different fluids ie: motor oil, trans fluid, coolant, power steering and gas? common fluids that may come into contact if the entire car was dipped. :?

I will try some gas, maybe some Oil, and some cleaners that I can find that I have sitting in my closet.

This will be a good test to see what happens if you try cleaning a part of your car and accidently overspray on to the Plastidipped car.

TrailerTrash wrote:also what about letting it soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water for awhile? it shouldnt hurt it but you never know.

and you could drop handfulls of gravel on it for the stone chip test :lol:

also after all the tests maybe you could take a blowgun with a bigass air compressor and blow a jet of air over the entire thing at all angles to see if it is going to flake at all to simulate actually driving down the road. say theres a stone chip and some air got behind it and it just lifted/peeled right off.

Defentally going to give this a shot. Thanks for the idea.

bigpunn421 wrote:throw a cup of sand at it

stick a sticker on painted parts or a piece of tape

thats what i want to see.

and great idea

Not much sand where I am at. But I will try throwing sand at it as well as some dirt. The Sticker and tape idea is good as well.

____

I plan on recording all of these in 1080p and then editing them together and putting them on Youtube for you guys to see. If you can come up with more Tests to do I would appreciate it.

I will be filming this Tomorrow Afternoon after 2pm Pacific Standard Time. Once filming has completed, I will edit it up in Adobe Premiere and having up on Youtube as quickly as I can.
Last edited by chrono404 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
By 92civic_vx
#309387 i wonder how it holds up against different fluids ie: motor oil, trans fluid, coolant, power steering and gas? common fluids that may come into contact if the entire car was dipped. :?
By chrono404
92civic_vx wrote:i wonder how it holds up against different fluids ie: motor oil, trans fluid, coolant, power steering and gas? common fluids that may come into contact if the entire car was dipped. :?

That is a great idea. I am adding that to the list. :thumb:
By TrailerTrash

i was thinking the exact same thing.

also what about letting it soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water for awhile? it shouldnt hurt it but you never know.

also after all the tests maybe you could take a blowgun with a bigass air compressor and blow a jet of air over the entire thing at all angles to see if it is going to flake at all to simulate actually driving down the road. say theres a stone chip and some air got behind it and it just lifted/peeled right off.
By chrono404
TrailerTrash wrote:

i was thinking the exact same thing.

also what about letting it soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water for awhile? it shouldnt hurt it but you never know.

Added to the list. Great idea. I was planning on dropping rocks on grill for the rock chip test, the blowing air at it is a great idea.
By bigpunn421
#309400 throw a cup of sand at it

and great idea
By chrono404
bigpunn421 wrote:throw a cup of sand at it

and great idea

Not much sand where I am at. But I will try throwing sand at it as well as some dirt. The Sticker and tape idea is good as well.
By chrono404
#309623 Plastidip test happened Tuesday.

It took a decent beating, and am editing the video to put on here.

Plastidip while looking good with clear coat, its a super pain to get clear coat off of it. This pretty much made me change my mind on Plasti Dipping a whole car. However I did get to dip a few things.

Plastidipped the Climate control/Radio bezel which was the same grey as the Radio(which will be shortly replaced).

Also plastidipped my Dad's 95 Honda Odyssey Grill to look kinda like a CTR Grill. One of these days I will get my dad to post his car in the Other rides build section.
By Punksz6
#309651 :thumb:
By 95dxdrivr
#309709 :woot: awesome!
By 92civic_vx
#313191 did you get to finish the video editing of the tests? :?
By chrono404
#313272 I filmed everything however have not finished editing the video. I have been pretty busy. I hope to get it done soon.
By blk92hb
#313291 did you try brake fluid, eggs, maybe even some brake cleaner or engine cleaner??