Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By 95dxdrivr
#309128 I recently stumbled across this stuff they call 'Plastidip'. :?

I've come across a few threads about various uses of the stuff, wheels, hoods, etc. and being somewhat curious I thought i'd give it a shot myself.

Personally I am starting to have some fun with it and thought I would see if anyone else out there has any pictures, stories, or even some love/hate for this stuff...

1st experiment was with my fender. The fender was a 'sorta'-fit replacement I bought and it came primered black. Well, being some what lazy and really just not caring I put the fender on without painting it.
Several months go buy an my once black primer is now taking on a faded gray look. So I decided to pick up a can of black plastidip and try it out for myself.
Figured it wouldn't hurt anything, couldn't look much worse than faded primer lol.

One can covered the fender with a few coats.
Left it on for a couple of months in the weather and it peeled right off, never got cracked or faded looking.

Experiment 1 =PASSED

Which then leads me to my 2nd experiment.
Which was an old cracked CF hood I purchased real cheap.

Here are a couple pictures of the process.

BEFORE

as you can see above the hood has seen better days, no worries tho. for the price I paid it was worth it to me.

My original plan was to only plastidip the hood but spraying in 90* weather proved to be to hot for the plastidip to dry smooth :thumbdown:

so...this happened instead...hope you like :)

AFTER

Seemed to provide enough distraction from the pebbled texture the plastidip left, still may paint more on but for tonight i'm done!

It was first covered with black plastidip, 3 cans to be exact. Let it dry and then painted (with a waterbased paint) what you see above. all free hand, just for fun.

The best part of it all is that it is completely removable by simply peeling it away!!!

* * * * SO * * * *

tell me what you think....

show me your plastidip parts...
By Gustavo
#309132 We plastidipped my friends entire Jetta. It was all Black n we dipped it White.
By 95dxdrivr
#309134 ^looks great! :D I was actually throwing the idea around of doing my whole car also, at least the front portion.

I painted a friends RC car awhile back with a rough idea of what I'm leaning towards

planning on incorporating some cones into illustration among other things since the main use of my car is autocross.

By Punksz6
#309149 Great Work :thumb:
By bsnizzle
#309157 love it!
plastidip is also fun to peel off as well lol
By 95dxdrivr
teal_dx wrote:you have some airbrush skillz :thumb:

Punksz6 wrote:Great Work :thumb:

bsnizzle wrote:love it!
plastidip is also fun to peel off as well lol

Thanks!

Actually working on another plastidip project later today, haha can't stop. Will post up some pictures after i get her finshed up.
By Civic_HatchSI
#309238 Nice hood!

I have used the dip on my Tacoma, I re did the hole front end to prevent from chips. Works great so far :thumb:
By chrono404
#309248 I have been reading into Plasti dip alot recently. I have been thinking about going Matte White or Matte Grey on my WRX and using Plastidip to do it. From everything I have seen there is no downside to plastidip. You can rock a color as long as you want and when your tired of it you peal it off. and $300 later you can have another color on your car.

Its even better for rims as you can change from Silver to Monster Green to Bright Blue(similar to voltage blue on DC Integras) to Black to Gun Metal. As long as you do a good job "painting" it on it will look good and you can easily change color depending on the current fads or rocking a different color to each meet you go to.

I plan on buying some Plasti Dip and painting a Spare Ferio fender with it. I then plan on torture testing plasti dip and seeing how far it can go abuse wise, then seeing how it reacts with clear coat. I plan on taking pictures or maybe a video of what it can take. If it passes the test I will be painting my WRX Wagon with the stuff.
By 95dxdrivr
#309256 ^^my feelings exactly! The stuff is pretty impressive in my opinion. Very curious how the 'torture testing' goes! haha Post your results if your get a chance. Would love to see or hear about what happens!

I was also throwing the idea around of clearing over top of the plastidip, mainly to keep the painting from getting sun bleached. So far the fender I painted a few months ago hasn't been affected by the UV, even cooking outside in 100* weather. Peels up nice and easy, no fading in the black. I'm going to have to try clearing over it one of these days, somewhere other than the painting at first. Only thing I worry about would be the two products reacting, probably have to start with a few light coats of clear at first.

Plastidip does offer a "glossifier" product in aerosol form which basically is a rubber clear coat I believe, nobody carries in my area as of yet though, but it may get you that glossy finish if thats what you are after.

Civic_HatchSI wrote:Nice hood!

I have used the dip on my Tacoma, I re did the hole front end to prevent from chips. Works great so far :thumb:

thank you :D
By JohnAWESOME
#309287 I read the only thing to watch for mainly for rims is cleaners that use acid because it takes the plasti dip off.
By 1ACarlos
#309591 Awesome
By 95dxdrivr
#309710 Image

the latest project, the top of the carbon was real faded so I picked up a can of white plastidip this time, seems to match close enough.

Taped off the line but then had to run over the edge with a blade before i peeled it up.