Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By reyes09
#304858 so my hatch has a bad leak by coming from the drivers foot area. i took a look at where it might be coming from and found a rust hole under the wiper cowl going around the fender. ive patched it before with sealer but now that im about to rent a welder im thinking of patching it with metal. now my question is. is it safe to cut the metal piece from the fender to patch that area and weld the piece back in place?

pic for reference. its the metal piece that we can tuck our hood cables in
By teal_dx
#304868 As long as it is properly welded it should be fine. Good welds are a must though, do some research & practicing if you have not welded much before. Be sure to properly seal both areas after welding so it will not rust :thumb:
By 92civicEGsedan
#305380 weld it then go back over your weld with JB weld :thumb:
By fatcoupe
#305394 if you do some practicing maybe make a diy? havnt found a good SIMPLE "basics of welding" guide thats understandable. so if you find anything out or are already a great welder post it in here. would like to see it :thumb:
By reyes09
teal_dx wrote:As long as it is properly welded it should be fine. Good welds are a must though, do some research & practicing if you have not welded much before. Be sure to properly seal both areas after welding so it will not rust :thumb:

hmm well i didnt weld it 100% but its about 80% of the cut is stitch welded and seemed strong. hope it works...although the leak didnt come back with a glass full of water but ill have to wait and see on the next rain storm

92civicEGsedan wrote:weld it then go back over your weld with JB weld :thumb:

whats that? adhesive?

fatcoupe wrote:if you do some practicing maybe make a diy? havnt found a good SIMPLE "basics of welding" guide thats understandable. so if you find anything out or are already a great welder post it in here. would like to see it :thumb:

i didnt really take alot of pictures..but i practiced with the scrap i cut off from quarters. as far as the setting goes i just followed the chart on the lincoln. which is i think c-1 on a 120v(if it makes the difference)

as far as the technique go i just followed this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEDHR-Nst6E

but honestly. the first few tacks were shit. but youll get used to it real quick and get the idea of how long you can hold each tack. the worst thing to do though is rush. since i only rented a welder for a day(budget issues) i was in such a rush that my driver qp wasnt aligned and had a 1/4 gap all around thhat was a pain to tack. and it took a hell of bondo to get it "smooth".
By 92civicEGsedan
#305516 i guess you could call it an adhesive i have friends here that use it as a welding substitute and my grandpa used to use it to repair cracks in lawnmower cylinder walls and i recently used it to go back over my welding i did on a gas tank for my 72 international scout II just to make sure i didnt have any leaks and so my welds didnt rust so i guess it has a lot of different purposes

http://jbweld.net/index.php
By reyes09
92civicEGsedan wrote:i guess you could call it an adhesive i have friends here that use it as a welding substitute and my grandpa used to use it to repair cracks in lawnmower cylinder walls and i recently used it to go back over my welding i did on a gas tank for my 72 international scout II just to make sure i didnt have any leaks and so my welds didnt rust so i guess it has a lot of different purposes

http://jbweld.net/index.php

hmm might give it a try in the near future:)