Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By teal_dx
mxracer84 wrote:Teal after you welded your quarters on did you put body sealer on them then body fill on top of that ?

After welding I first smoothed them, cleaned them and painted them with self etching primer. Then the filler.
The sealer is really more for filling seams/gaps
By teal_dx
#172475 It was probably 20 or 18 gauge, I had it laying around.
However, now the company that sells the rear arches also now sells the rocker panels. The link is in the very first post of this thread. I wish they were available when I did mine, building them from sheet metal was a PITA...
By pinky
#172704 If someone paid a shop to do this, how much would they expect to pay? I will be looking into it soon, since I don't have the time or equipment to do it myself, and I wanna know if I'll be getting ripped off or if its a decent price. I know it depends on how much will have to be replaced and how deep the rust is, but still. I have rust on both rear quarters.
By eg84dr
#184694 doing some rust repair
heres a few pics but i need your opinion teal i had to fabricate rocker panels like you did but at what point should i call this body shot ?
heres a few pics
sorry my welding is shitty
By teal_dx
#184712 not bad, but I would have bought the rust repair panels... they extend down to the area at the bottom where the rockers end. It's going to be tough to get that area to match the factory lines.

Props if you have the patience :thumb:
I guess I am not that patient :lol:
By eg84dr
#184715 i wish i could have bought the panels
but everything im using was free from a local machine shop
all i have paid for is primer and bondo
i honestly dont care how it looks i just need it to pass inspection and im going to work on getting a eg8 shell over the summer since i have alot more than just rust haha
i willpost pics once im done with bondo and paint its not gonna look pretty but hell who cares as long as it handles great and runs haha
By Claire09
#185603 hey teal..what was your speed and amps for the welder....and the size? was it a 0.025
By teal_dx
#185659 honestly I can't remember... it's been a few years. I know it wasn't cranked all the way up or barely at all.
It was somewhere near the middle for both power & wire speed.

The wire I used... It was what came with the welder. Might have been 0.025
By Claire09
#185741 thanks man :thumb:
By ozzie
#191526 Just wanted to say thanks for the write-up, I'm in the process of doing this right now, and your experience and pics are invaluable :thumb: I've got to do a little more then you did, my wheel wells are in worse shape then yours were, so I'm making some pieces to fill the gap (which is a time consuming process, clamp on panel, check fitment, remove, modify, put back together...)

One question though, why did you try to cut old quarters exactly to fit the new ones? I'm planning on leaving about 1/4" and just bending the old metal back (like is recommended on the rustrepair site). The only places I'm cutting to fit is the very back near the taillight, and where the trim goes.

Oh, and for a spotweld cutter, I've got one of these, the 11093, and it works great. Takes a bit of practice to get good with, but once you've got the hang of it popping off body panels is a breeze.
By Geddy
#202373 Do you know if the rust repair rocker panel comes with the lower part of the door jamb or is it just the actual panel that holds the rocker molding on? or do i have to actually go cut the jamb off a junkyard car or rebuild them myself :?
By teal_dx
Geddy wrote:Do you know if the rust repair rocker panel comes with the lower part of the door jamb or is it just the actual panel that holds the rocker molding on? or do i have to actually go cut the jamb off a junkyard car or rebuild them myself :?

They didn't have the rocker panels at the time I fixed mine, but I would think they come with the lower part of the door jamb.

I would contact them directly and ask.
They have their own section in the forum, http://civic-eg.com/viewforum.php?f=86 :thumb:
By n126-lgd
#208185 really quick question,

did u do the majority of the welding from the inside of the car?

or all of it externally