Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By neo27ny
#301982 I prob won't be on here much longer, I'm finishing up the body work on my sedan then paint and putting it up for sale. I'm in the process of looking for a pickup but I won't be out of the game completely. I have my eye on a '97 honda accord that I'm thinking of picking up once the civic sells. Anyway I need some help from those who have body work experience. I picked up a set of rear quarter panels over the winter and have a mig welder. Driver side only needs repair. My problem is...after I got looking at it I don't really need to replace the quarter panel, it's mainly the first part of the wheel arch and the rot goes into the door sill back further than the quarter panel covers. I need some ideas on how to replace this. My first thoughts were to cut the piece out of the sedan in the junkyard but I don't have any portable tools for that. Second idea was to mold a section out of sheet metal but I don't know how to go about that. I'm stuck and need some ideas. I'll get a pic up showing the rust spot I'm talking about.
By cjw_89
#301993 If its the panel after your door and below your body trim cut the bottom off a door then you have the same curve and all ;)
By neo27ny
#301996 It's right here, not a good pic I'll get another one. You can see the general area it's rusted but it goes back inside the car. I need some ideas on making a replacement or how to cut the panel out of a car in the junkyard with limited tools. My quarter panel is basically useless cause it only covers the part of the arch exposed.

By teal_dx
#301999 The part you are describing you will have to fabricate with some sheet metal, unless you can find a worthy donor sedan and cut it out. Or you could look for an entire replacement rear quarter panel instead of just the arch but expect to pay at least a few hundred bucks per side.
By cjw_89
#302200 Pretty sure www.fixmyrust.com has what you are after. I did see that replacment panel for a sedan online. I believe that was it.
By teal_dx
#302209 He was saying those don't go far enough into the rear door jamb to repair all of the rust.

It sounds like he needs something more like this:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... UTER+PANEL
By neo27ny
#302216 ^^Correct ...I won't order through fixmyrust anyway. I placed an order for a quarter panel last winter, I waited 2 months with no response to my e-mails or calls. Finally e-mailed and just said give me my money back hoping someone would read it. Got an e-mail not long after saying they don't have the part they would have to refund me.
By neo27ny
#302316 I have a mig welder but no real experience with body work.
By neo27ny
#302366 I would like to cut the piece out of the sedan in the junkyard so I don't have to really work and shape sheet metal. How can I cut the piece out with limited tools? I have some power tools and stuff but no way to get power out there.
By teal_dx
#302383 Can you borrow or rent a cordless sawzall? What about using a generator? Or if you can get your car close, a 12v power inverter? What about an air tank and an air cutoff wheel? (not sure how long the air tank would last with an air tool since they need a lot of psi)
By neo27ny
#303075 hmm some interesting ideas. I had planned on buying a portable air compressor and cutoff wheel since I don't yet have a compressor. Not sure how long a full tank would last without power. Think the one I was looking at was either 3 or 6 gallons. Thanks for the ideas, I'm leaning towards a cordless sawzall.
By teal_dx
#303077 The only downside to the sawzall vs the cutting wheel is that the sawzall blade may hit something behind the outer sheet metal like part of the subframe etc and get bent up. Both would be ideal to have. I wonder if they make battery powered cutoff wheels :?