Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By jadeydrag0117
#299101 Yo :D ,

bouta paint my interiors (i know this is in the wrong forum,

but it mostly has to do with painting rather than the interior, and this forum is where are the painting answers can be found :thumb: )

around the edges of doors (3) trunk, passenger, and driver. Im going to paint it light teal i think it will be sweet .

im going to use a can

i dont know that much about paints the difference or whatever, not interested in getting to detailed in understanding, but i just want to know what kind of paint should i use???

btw don't worry i'll do the sanding with correct paper all that good stuff prep work, just don't know much about the chemical paint stuff.
i wanna do maybe like two coats, just want to use like (1) can only and just get it done fast . know what im saying??

anyways what type should i use?, im looking on this website and it has so many products its confusing. i know theres different types for different layers when your painting the exterior body, like priming, coating, and clear and all this weird craps.
By cody27
#299660 Ok so your looking to paint you plastic interior pieces.....?

There is no done FAST when painting/dyeing, if you want fast i dont know why you even came here to ask.

first your going to want to find some plastic/trim paint/dye if you want it done correctly, seeing as teal isnt a typical trim color id say check out a hobby shop.....i can tell you right now its going to take more than one can and plastic paint/dye aint gunna be cheap, another option is krylon fusion plastic paint for lawn furniture comes in all the colors of the rainbow and that shit goes on and stays on.

second DONT sand trim/plastic it will look like complete shit at the end as all the scratches will show, get some TSP or paint prep cleaner for plastic and clean it, try this in an unseen spot first in case it has some horrible chemical reaction and screws up the piece or at the very least soap and water, let it dry.

third, many coats are better than one or two, minimum ive done when painting interiors is three, but it depends on paint/dye color and what the original color of the piece is.

Again this isnt going to be a quick half hour job, ive done a few interior revivals and its a minimum day done right, if you want fast like i said above im not sure why your even asking, you want fast just grab any kind of paint slap it on there and re-coat it in a month when it comes off.

good luck.
By jadeydrag0117
cody27 wrote:Ok so your looking to paint you plastic interior pieces.....?

There is no done FAST when painting/dyeing, if you want fast i dont know why you even came here to ask.

first your going to want to find some plastic/trim paint/dye if you want it done correctly, seeing as teal isnt a typical trim color id say check out a hobby shop.....i can tell you right now its going to take more than one can and plastic paint/dye aint gunna be cheap, another option is krylon fusion plastic paint for lawn furniture comes in all the colors of the rainbow and that shit goes on and stays on.

second DONT sand trim/plastic it will look like complete shit at the end as all the scratches will show, get some TSP or paint prep cleaner for plastic and clean it, try this in an unseen spot first in case it has some horrible chemical reaction and screws up the piece or at the very least soap and water, let it dry.

third, many coats are better than one or two, minimum ive done when painting interiors is three, but it depends on paint/dye color and what the original color of the piece is.

Again this isnt going to be a quick half hour job, ive done a few interior revivals and its a minimum day done right, if you want fast like i said above im not sure why your even asking, you want fast just grab any kind of paint slap it on there and re-coat it in a month when it comes off.

good luck.

not the plastic, the part the door closes into
By dbrooks
#299668 That's called a door jam and it's the same as painting any other exterior panel on a car.

Honestly, it's going to look trashy. Sometimes people just paint the outside of the cars and not the jams and it looks awful. Do what you want though.
By jadeydrag0117
dbrooks wrote:That's called a door jam and it's the same as painting any other exterior panel on a car.

Honestly, it's going to look trashy. Sometimes people just paint the outside of the cars and not the jams and it looks awful. Do what you want though.

ohhh yeahhh door jam, i kept on trying to remember the word for it...
well thats why i want to paint my jams, cause the exterior is painted but not the door jam, it doesnt look thaat bad for me though..but kinda want to make it "stylish" lol
By trackEG4
#299671 Your gna need to do a lot of prep.... and definately one can wont cut it.
what colour is the car underneath - if its dark you might need a light colour primer - lots of light coats , sanded smooth before painting the colour. you will need some lacquer too. make sure you do your prep..... remove door seals and sill strips tape up everything and remove the door ( or at least cover with a sheet).
If your using rattle cans , any paint store should be able to mix you a can if you give them the paint code. make sure that the paint has been shaken well and that the can is not cold , again lots of thin coats with 20 mins drying time between applications . HTH
Last edited by trackEG4 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jadeydrag0117
trackEG4 wrote:Your gna need to do a lot of prep.... and definately one can wont cut it.
what colour is the car underneath - if its dark you might need a light colour primer - lots of light coats , sanded smooth before painting the colour. you will need some lacquer too. make sure you do your prep..... remove door seals and sill strips tape up everything and remove the door ( or at least cover with a sheet).HTH

its the oem teal, my exterior is dark bluish purple,

im guna paint it creamy light teal if i can find ithat paint,

btw
yeah def guna do the correct prep work b4 i paint it, i WASNT planning on tapping around my freaking doorpanels and painting, lol

but yeah im just wondering what type of paint im suppose to use for this, what i mean by fast job is not going out buying/ renting and air tank , buying the airgun, buying the paint learning about drying and all that stuff,

just want to sand + paint with one type of can, glossy ,

i started learning about paint and body work at the begining of this year for like a month , and thats it i remember starting to get into specific types of paint for specific coats and it was confusing thats why i just want to ask the question which one should i use for sand+ a few coats
By trackEG4
#299675 If the car is a dark blue Id start by feathering the edge of the new paint until its level with the old 6/800 wet n dry ,

key the surface you are going to paint, 6/800 should be fine for this

clean the sanded surface and make sure its dry

get a light colour high build primer and put down one very light first coat followed by two thick coats - you will get a slight overspray but that can be sanded away later.

once the primer has dried you will need to flat it - I use 1000 grit for this .

next clean and dry the surface thoroughly

lay down you colour in light even coats overlaping your primed area ever so slightly

keeping the can at least 6 inches away from the surface and use a smooth straight motion

when lacquering afterwards increase the size of the area that be overlapped??? if u no wot I mean???

any area that will be painted must be given a decent key otherwise the paint/lacquer wont stick....

once your done give it a wet sand wth some 2000 grit and a quick cut and polish will bring the clear coat right up.
By cody27
#299681 track nailed it, as for trying to get aztec green or tahitian green....i assume thats the teal your talking bout as most call it teal they are very similar but aztec is 93+ and the tahitian is 92- but very damn close and hard to tell apart if they are not side by side. Trying to get those in a spray can will likely be difficult so probably have to go for something close if you can find it, much easier if you have compressors and paint guns cause you can simply get paint codes and have it mixed up.