-Welder
-Acetalene/abrasion
-Diegrinder's
-Angle Grinder
-Resperator

This Requires 2 people!

Step 1:
-Roll up windows
-Remove Inside door panel (your going to need to do this no matter what)
-Remove thin plastic sheet between door panel and door
-Remove Side Molding.

*Option 1: If you dont care and dont plan on keeping the side molding a screw driver is the best choice. Just stick it in between the molding and the door and pry away at it, till it you hear a snap or a pop. There are 13 clips holding it in.

*Option 2: If you do care, on the inside the door there are clips. Take a Pliers and sqweez the clips and push or have somebody pull them out. Be careful to not push or pull to hard, dont want to bend the moldings (there is a thin sheet of metal inside of them)

-To get at the fender Clips/holes your going to need to take off any existing splash guards and a few more screw to be able to pull back the fender liner. From there you should have a good view. (take tires off if needed)

Step Back and look at your car. Make sure you want to continue, because there is no turning back.

Step 2:
-Sand Down paint
*Option 1: This is a slow and lengthy process by hand. 80 grit should work just fine.
*Option 2: Use a Die Grinder with Scotch-Brite Roloc Surface Conditioning Discs. This takes paint right off, quick and easy.

Step 3:
-Cut 13 or more 1inch by 1inch squares of a sheet of steel. (thickness is based on how much you want to spend vs. quality and weld/abrasion ability)
(I used 22gauge Steel in a 6x24inch sheet)
ImageImage

Step 4:
This is where it gets complicated!
-Your going to need a freind for this part.
*You or your friend are going to need to know how to weld or abrase

-1 person is going to need to be behind the door, inside of the car holding the 1x1inch pieces of sheet metal flush against the inside of the door over the holes where the clips once were.
-Hold in place with a screw driver or pliers. Thus not burning said persons hands.
BE CAREFULL! The door metal will be hot after performing the next step! (as you can see)
-Then the person on the outside is going to need to weld or abrase the sheet metal to the door.

Step 5:
-Flatten the material down to door metal level.
*Option 1: Use an angle grinder if you used weld.
*Option 2: Use an Die Grinder with the Scotch-Brite Roloc Surface Conditioning Discs if you used Abrasion.

Step 6:
-Bondo/Spot Puddy over every hole. Even if the hole is completely filled in with Weld or Abrasive you are going to want to do this to level out any existing and or hidden deformities.
ImageImage
-Sand down Bondo/Spot puddy with 180grit (or what you want) wrapped around a flat 1inch tall and 6inch or longer surface, such as a ruler. This will help level out the Bondo/Spot Puddy and give it a nice flat smooth surface.

Step 7:
-Check over your work
-Repeat Step 6 if needed
-Sand down and level out paint around the area
-Clean with Wax and Grease Remover or Mineral Spirits (personal choice)
-Paint whole area with primer, rattle can or spray gun (personal choice)
-Paint over the metal squares inside the door to prevent rust. Anything should do.

If you do it right it should look something like this:
Last edited by CamperCarl on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ajax1989
#266351 wow good work man!

not a big fan on the shaved molding... but it looks good!!!

A+ in my books!!!!
By CamperCarl
#266401 Thanks :thumb:

Total work time I would say is a 2-5 hours.

Bondo and or puddy takes a while to dry :wink:
By undeadone069
#266424 hmmmm cant u fill the spot where the molding was? so u get a smooth clean look? been thinking of doing this for a while.
By CamperCarl
#266443 I was thinking about that as well.

In that case you would not have to do anything I did.

-You are going to need to cut the indent on the fenders and if you have a sedan you going to need to cut the front door's as well.

-Then your going to need to weld a piece of steel in its place so that you can still bondo and keep the perfect shape. That and you wont have to worry about ripping your bondo off.

Reason for all this is, the way that the indent for the side moldings is shaped comes close to hitting/scraping on the other indent. If you look at your moldings there is a notch taken out of them so the door can open properly. (if you have a sedan it will be on both doors)

-Then bondo and shape to what you want

Here's and Example:

Picture from clubcivic.com - user mastertee31 :thumb:
By RamenNoobles
#266478 imo, the complete shave just looks too naked :?
CamperCarl wrote:Here's and Example:

Picture from clubcivic.com - user mastertee31 :thumb:

and great write up bro :woot:
By chrono404
#266555 Good Quality DIY. I moved it to Exterior and Body as per Facebook Request. :thumb:
By kingjmack
#266556 Awesome DIY! I've though about shaving the moulding, then I wanted to color match it, then I wanted to fill it in ti be even like on the white hatch.

Question:

When you welded, I see you used a stick welder, what type of welding rod was used?

Thanks!
By CamperCarl
kingjmack wrote:Question:

When you welded, I see you used a stick welder, what type of welding rod was used?

Thanks!

3/32" Flux Coated Bronze

IF YOU USE THIS METHOD, MAKE SURE YOU GET FLUX COATED!

I had an Argon Wire Feed on stand by if it was needed.
By CamperCarl
#267141 Thanks! :thumb: I plan on creating more DIY's in the near future.
By cjw_89
#301323 I wanna shave the trim holes only,93 eg si. My take on it was if the hole was say 1/2 x 1/2 cut a square peice say 3/4x3/4 clean and prep the metal inside out use weld.through on the inside weld it then seam seal the inside while using short strand on the outside with evercoat filler after that?
By 1ACarlos
#301344 Thanks