Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By Jayryan
#239934 hey guys i live in Ireland and im just wondering if the finish with spray cans is decent and advice on how to go about doing this i originally was not going to repaint my whole car but there is a good few spots need touching up and also i dont like the white color it is now

three main quetions
is it a good finish /how to get good finish?
do i need to lacquer over the canned paint?
what is the best black kind of paint to use for this job?

i would also be very happy with any tips you might have for me thanks :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
Jayryan wrote:

is it a good finish /how to get good finish?

It can have a good finish if you do it right. and to do it right you have to take your time and spray smooth and even coats without runs.

Jayryan wrote:

do i need to lacquer over the canned paint?

you don't have to but you can if you want to.

Jayryan wrote:

what is the best black kind of paint to use for this job?

I always use Krylon. the have gloss black, satin black, and flat black. flat and satin are pretty good for a nice even finish that looks good but gloss can be very tricky to get a smooth finish. but you could always clear coat the car afterwards.

its all up to you its a much cheaper way to paint your car and can look very nice if done correctly.

this is my car done with 3 coats of flat black Krylon
By 94EJ2
#239950 well i personally would never spray paint a eg but i used cheap walmart paint on my s10 it turned out pretty good for spraypaint i dont know how long its gonna last i sold the truck and havent seen it since but here are some pics of it

before
after
By Jayryan
#239961 thanks man thats a brilliant job you done just wondering what did you do over they original color did you sand it all back or just a certain amount and what kind of sanding method did you use
By cjw_89
#239987 you can do a great job with spray bombs regarless of what you think..Best thing to do is have several cans of paint.Tape off a fender and paint it with a few coats,do the same for the other fender.Let it cure then paint a door :blah: .... Once you have everypeice painted ( i would use adhesion promotor) on the bumpers let the paint cure for a week or so then wetsand and clear .. I plan on doing it to my coupe the summer HEHE !!! :wink:

Someone did a write up on this on this site btw.It was a black ek and the bumper he painted was red...Can ayone recall on what i am talking about ??? The bumper turned out better then what the whole car looked like,he did plan on painting the rest though!

Anyways hope my yammering helped,it can be done!
By teal_dx
#240005 The link to the DIY you're talking about is in the DIY list http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=3 :thumb:

After that, I painted my whole car with aerosol. Pretty much follow the instructions on the back of the can for best results. Different types of paint have different cure times and re-coat windows. Lightly scuff the OEM paint (no lower than 600 grit) to give a good surface to adhere to. Start with a clean car and then use wax & grease remover again before painting.

Do light coats! 8 light coats is going to dry better than 3 heavy coats.
Then on the vary last coat, put it on a little heavier but not so much that it is going to run. This is called a "wet coat" because it will leave the final coat looking wet compared to the previous light coats.

First find a friend that owes you a favor and get help sanding the whole car.

Then do any filling of dents & priming on areas where needed.

I took my bumper & fenders & tail gate off and painted them separate first.

Light coats to start with. THe paint will not look glossy in the early coats.

About 7-8 coats, including the final wet coat.

All done, still not dry.

Let it cure for a while before waxing. Depending on amount of coats, thickness and type of paint, it could take months to cure. Enamel paint takes longer to cure. Lacquer cures fast.
By Ecc0
#240122 One tip I was given which works really well is that if you put the cans into boiled water and let them heat up before you use them you'll get much better pressure out of the can.
By Jayryan
#240469 thanks a million everyone im looking forward to starting the spray job in a few weeks after i am finished tidying up the body
By Ajax1989
#240475 click my sig and my whole car was painted with krylon paint as well, its only temp tho
By cjw_89
#240478 Everyone thinks you need to throw down $1000 to get your car looking good. Man that army green hatch looks nice. You say thats done with rattle cans :jawdrop: That looks GREATTT.. Anyways good luck and let us know how it turns out. Remember to wet sand clear and buff :thumb:
By Ecc0
cjw_89 wrote:Everyone thinks you need to throw down $1000 to get your car looking good. Man that army green hatch looks nice. You say thats done with rattle cans :jawdrop: That looks GREATTT.. Anyways good luck and let us know how it turns out. Remember to wet sand clear and buff :thumb:

you gotta love teal for build quality check out his full build post is page by page jaw dropping skill
By TrailerTrash
#240598 I would have never sprayed my coupe(originally teal my favorite) but when I bought it someone had already ruined it with the worst spray bomb job i had ever seen :x :x :x

what it looked like when i bought it

just goes to show you what a difference 12 cans of Krylon can do
By teal_dx
TrailerTrash wrote:I would have never sprayed my coupe(originally teal my favorite) but when I bought it someone had already ruined it with the worst spray bomb job i had ever seen :x :x :x

I couldn't find a build thread of your car... do you have one? I'd like to see the transition from that to where it is now :thumb:
By Ajax1989
teal_dx wrote:
TrailerTrash wrote:I would have never sprayed my coupe(originally teal my favorite) but when I bought it someone had already ruined it with the worst spray bomb job i had ever seen :x :x :x

I couldn't find a build thread of your car... do you have one? I'd like to see the transition from that to where it is now :thumb:

x2
By cjw_89
#240760 i am definately spraying my hatch the summer. Do you remommend using adhesion promotor on the bumpers before you prime :O.. I am 99% positive,but what wrong with anothers opinion :P