Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By LaosToaster
#230728 ok well heres some pics, my DIY so far. this is only the template for the diffuser, its gonna be the base of my diffuser, once u get the base done u can pretty much make any style diffuser u want, not anything extreme though. This part took me 2.5-3 hours. ohh and uhh do whatever u need to get under ur car, i didnt need to lift my rear end up, just around stock height on mine. ENJOY :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: 8)

WARNING: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES YOU DONE TO YOURSELF SO SAFETY FIRST, WEAR SOME GLOVES!!!!

This is the box i used for my template, its a thin carbboard box, thin enough to fold but strong enough to hold. 8)

Now just unfold it and tape up the flaps.

finished here

Now put ur cardboard behind ur wheels and measure, but its ok u dont have to i already did the measurement for ya, its 67 1/2" long. cut to that length. ALWAYS GIVE URSELF EXTRA SLACK, so u can trim ur way down to the perfect measurement.

on the width i cut at 33 1/2". so now ur cardboard should measure 67 1/2" length and 33 1/2 " width. (INCHES) incase some ppl dont know what " is

my diffuser is gonna stop right behind the gas tank. the tape measure is the actual angle my diffuser is gonna be. i measured from the blue tape on my bumper to the fuel tank. 28" long.

now trace a line all the way across, the long way, and cut. now ur template should be 67 1/2" long length still , and now 28" tall width.

on the muffler area, ur template will vary since we have all kinds of sizes of mufflers, but its ok dont worry about this part yet.

67 1/2" X 28" important part, center it as best as u can and mark on 3 side on the floor, use tape or whatever u have.

now ur gonna make a cut to make room for the tires. mark a line at the 15 1/2" mark not 10" i measured wrong earlier, and also cut 9 1/2" across, do the same thing on the other side. NOTE: the width of the tire will vary, my tires are 6.5" wide.

now u can slide up ur diffuser closer to ur wheels, now the very middle end of the diffuser will meet with bumper, try to eyeball it from the side like so.

heres some quick dimensions. Remember do the same thing on the other side, everything is symmetrical, except for the tow hook and muffler.

next step is to make room for the LCA's

its a good idea to mark ur template on 3 side just incase it moves on u.

measured 21 1/2" from bumper to LCA. 21 1/2" minus 28" is 6 1/2" to mark from up top. varies here to how close or far u want it from the LCA.

13" this part varies, but i did 13" to give some slack and trim my way to the way i wanted it.

quick dimension, cut marked line

ok now onto the muffler, make sure ur still aligned with the markings on the floor, i used a string and tied a nut to get a true vertical, and marked just outside of the nut, not where exactly it lands, not inside, but outside the nut. keep marking until u get to the very back of the muffler, ur gonna need to hang the string on the back of the muffler too and mark some lines on the template.

crap how do u take a sharpie marker off?? :x

dimensions of my muffler, yea its pretty fat. cut out ur measurement.

If u hate measurering well guess what ur done with that now :wink: . now its time to test fit it, the LCA part of the template will not fit. this is where u gotta take out ur marker, or razor( if u wanna cut while its still up there)Cut the extra slack around for a perfect fit.

ur can freehand the measurements on this one to cut a hole for the tow hook.

this is a very close fit, i didnt need to force fit it in, i will need to trim a little, but it fits nicely :thumb:

freehand and cut hole now.

ok very important step now. after u cut ur tow hook hole. make sure whatever ur holding ur template with is stable and wont move ur template. now hold the template with ur hand a little firm against the bumper ; ur gonna trace ur bumper onto the template as close as u can, if u wanna be safe, trace half a centimeter away from the bumper, thats what i did after my sharpie incident. u can always trim more later

keep tracing all the way to the side. ur gonna do the same thing for the muffler side as well.

TADA!! all done!!!! :D now pat urself on the back. wash ur hand first. This is ur base, u will use this to make ur diffuser, whats great about it that u have all the measurements need there and u dont needa look under ur car and such. u can make that diffuser from the grey eg just using part of ur template, u can make it longer or shorter, u can pretty much do ur own custom diffuser. fiberglass or metal, aluminum, carbon fiber, etc.. as far as the fins, im still thinking how to do them, shouldnt be that hard, u can be creative from this point on. but i guess imma try the simple diffuser from the grey eg first.

as far as mounting the diffuser, i kno where to mount on the bumper part of the diffuser but not the opposite side. maybe those two bolts that are screwed on the fuel tank strap?? :?

my muffler suffered overspray due to my weaksauce covering shit skills.

heres the extra slack im gonna cut off for the LCAs.

Final Product 8)

NOTE: im always mixing the word diffuser and template, just to clear it up, THIS IS ONLY THE TEMPLATE, ok thanks

and then heres the second part DIY,
were gonna be making the diffuser using my template. took me 2-3 hours ENJOY :thumb:

heres a roll of sheet metal, i have no idea what hot dipped galvanized flashing means, there were several types of roll to buy, i just went with the cheap one 8) . some metal to metal fasteners, 1/2 inch long and u need TWO of those 90 degrees bars, i made a miscalculation and ur gonna need two of those ur gonna see why later on. alright moving on

When cutting the tape of the roll of metal its gonna unroll violently so be careful.

Then unroll it all the way and flip it over so it wont curl on u. feel free to step on it to make it more flat.

Then place ur template over. NOTE: my tow hook is off centered that will be fixed later. since my diffuser is gonna be the same length as my template (28") all i needa do is measure and mark a line across the 28" mark and cut.

After ur done cutting, ur gonna measure the width to cut ur diffuser, mine was 19 1/2", then mark a line all the way across and cut like the last step.

Now ur ready to cut ur diffuser, make sure u have sharp scissors, its thin enough to cut but u might needa use two hands after a while.

After cutting ur probably gonna end up with something like this, u wanna try to bend it back using some round edge, luckily i have a round counter top i can use. use two hands and roll back and forth with even pressure to get it as straight as possible.

dont ask me how i took this pic lol.

close enough

ok on this part just cut this bar to the length of ur diffuser. but since i didnt have two bars of these i just cutted them in 4 even pieces. U should cut just the length of ur diffuser for both bars.

I fail at math. the one bar in the middle isnt gonna be bolted on there, just the two at the ends will be.

ok this is the tricky part. ur gonna have to drill ur bolt onto ur diffuser with that bar. since the bolt is gonna go right through u cant just drill on a flat floor. so i used a carboard box. its pretty handy when bolting in the other bolts since it stays put after drilling in one bolt.

one corner done. U would be halfway done if u had the long bar, just bolt it all the way across ur diffuser, this is what ur fins are gonna bolt onto.

ok now were gonna measure the angle of the fins. heres how u do it. measure the height of one end point of where ur diffuser ends, in this case mine will stop right at the gas tank. Measured 8" here.

and then measure the height of the other end of where ur diffuser will stop, mine stops at the blue tape, which measured 12". i dont kno the exact degree of it but its all good.

This part is simple, since the height difference is 4",(8"-12"). all u gotta do is cut a 4" X 28(ur lenght of ur diffuser)" square. BUT remember this part will vary since some of yall wanna stop at the subframe, so ur numbers wil be different from mine.

Now be very careful about this part, u wanna just trace a line diagonally from one corner to another, and cut. dont worry if ur tips curl up its normal, just smash it flat again.

Heres the fins after cutting. This is where i cut myself once, so be careful with this stuff.

Test fit, sorry blurry pic.

ok now ur getting to the hard part. mounting the fins to the diffuser, its kinda hard trying to keep everything straight so i had my diffuser laying against a wall and using my other hand to drill in the fastener.

the short side of the fin is much harder to bolt down. just use patience as ur tool. but then again, if u had the long bar unlike mine i think its gonna be easier for yall.

here it is all finished, i kno its crooked cuz of my bars. what i can do later is just bolt up a thick slim metal bar to each ends of the diffuser so its no biggy.

now its time to cut ur tow hook. 8)

epic fail.. :x good thing i had another pair.

all done now 8)

under 3 pounds :D

so thats all for now. imma see if i can come up with other designs, like wider ones or so. what do ya'll think of the finished product?? i still have to trim the fins to the correct angle too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(original first post)
how do u think it'll look if i actually made one like this evo on my eg?

what do yall think?? i dont like the looks of the diffusers they have when u google civic rear diffuser.
Last edited by LaosToaster on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
By ImThaBean
#230730 Depends. if its on a hatch, I think it would detract from the rear wing (stock or otherwise). It MAY, MAY look OK on a sedan or coupe.

I would say, see if you can find a cheap one locally, (I think auto part store carry cheap versions) and slap it on with tape or something so you don't actually use the adhesive backing to hold it down. Look at it, all angels, every angle and see if you like it. If you do, keep it, paint it, whatever you gotta do to it. If not, box it back up and return it.
By {ikon}EM1
#230732 The lil mohawks on the back of the roof where the antenna is of the plastic bottom part where the pipes r???
By Flatland_EG
#230734 I'm pretty sure he's talking about the part on the bottom of the bumper, the little fins on the rear window are vortex generators. :)
By LaosToaster
#230736 the black part of the bumper im talking about. u can make it out of fiberglass, or other composite materials depending on ur skills. i might start on one with fiberglass since its available everywhere. i wus just wondering what other rear diffuser design would look good on an EG. :thumb:
By Jr_DSantos
#230753 i think it would look like that. if thats what you mean

By LaosToaster
#230754 yea i kno that one, its just im asking ppls opinion on how an EVO rear diffuser look if it was put on the EG. lets use some imagination here :thumb:

EDIT: i think that diffuser is ineffective, well at least very little compared to an EVO style diffuser. and its narrow and simple design. it also looks as if air can get around and get create an air pocket into the top of the diffuser on that gray eg
Last edited by LaosToaster on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jr_DSantos
#230756 :lol: ooh. Well i think it looks nice, something that i have never seen done in person. :D
By LaosToaster
#230763 this one might look good on an EG. looks kinda complex as far as making it from scratch.

this one would look like ass on our EGs lol :lol:

this one i think looks more suited for our cars. simple and not oversized.looks easy to make, no curves really

usually hate speed holes but damn this one looks pretty good.
http://img827.imageshack.us/i/30179760025large.jpg/

found another on an eg but i wont make this design, its alright i guess

hard to see but this one is really clean, hard to choose which design i should make :?

Image[/URL]

which ones u think would look best on an EG( use imagination please lol)? :D
By pandapoo4u
#230767 not my cup of tea but i like the one off the evo for a hatch

but the blue one looks good without the holes
By pandapoo4u
#230780 that actually looks great but let me tell you first had i did a full dashboard and center console with fiberglass and its a pain in the ass.... you eat through sand paper like crasy and it will upset you to no end i say this because i have an extreme amount of patience and it pissed me off...

but for that one of a kind custom look its great...

i wish you luck to take on this project...

do a write up and remeber it will take weeks or months depending on how big it is but remeber take your time....
By LaosToaster
#230790 Yea this is gonna be like a side project for me. I've already got the base cut up in shape to fit under so far, its gonna be a slow progress as I'm gathering parts as I go with this. Wow I would never try to make a dash lol that would be hell. I wanna try a diffuser cuz simple and not much curves depends on how u design it. I have played around with fiberglass so it gets easier, if I can complete I could make a DIY, then maybe try a hood next. I've seen ppl just make their own bumpers and lips with just fiberglass.
By LaosToaster
#231262 so i mocked up one out of cardboard, but stupid me forgot to take it off while taking her for a ride, now its gone..LOL :lol:
By Gustavo
LaosToaster wrote:so i mocked up one out of cardboard, but stupid me forgot to take it off while taking her for a ride, now its gone..LOL :lol:

:lol: Make another 1. I wanna c it.