Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By EG {FIVE-500}
#225810 NOT SURE IF ANY ONE HAS EVER LOOKED INTO IT BEFORE BUT IM LOOKING FOR AS MUCH INFORMATION ON HOW THEY PAINTED A CAR BEFORE THEY MADE COMPRESSORS,AIR GUNS AND TOOLS LIKE THAT.

AM I RIGHT IN THINKING THEY USED A PAINT BRUSH AND ROLLER AND THEN FLATEND AND POLISHED THE HECK OUT OF IT DOING NUMEROUS COATS OVER AND OVER (IF NOT WOULD THIS WORK) AND GIVE YOU A GOOD FINISH. I HAVE GOT A SPARE BONNET I AM GOING TO TRY IT ON JUST WANT TO NO ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS FIRST.

I AM ENQUIREING AS MY CAR HAS JUST COME OUT OF THE BODYSHOP. HAD A FULL RESPRAY AND IM JUST NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH IT AND IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO PAINT THE CAR THE OLD SKOOL WAY I WOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE THIS APROACH AND DO IT MYSELF I AM A QUALIFIED PAINTER AND DECORATOR SO PAINTING IT WOULDNT BE THE PROBLEM ITS JUST THE END RESULT THAT I DONT WANT TO MESS UP.

ANY INFORMATION GIVEN WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED EVEN THOUGHTS. I THINK ANY INFORMATION ON THIS COULD HELP MANY OUT ON THIS FORUM THAT HAVE GOT BAD BODY WORK AND CAN'T AFFORD THE MONEY TO GET A GARAGE TO DO IT. OR LIKE MY SELF I CAN'T TRUST A GARAGE TO GO NEAR MY CAR I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE MY TIME OR MY MONEY ON THEM NO MORE OPPOLOGIES TO THE GOOD GARAGES OUT THERE
By OleFolk
#225812 Next time please dont write in all caps

My father painted his 50's work truck with a paintbrush, you where able to see all of the brushmarks and lines. I am considering this for my car just because its badass lol

Ive seen a car painted with a roller and it came out pretty cool. Its all uniform it just has a slight texture to it.

I dont know the process they took before spray guns.
Im sure you can find it somewhere online.
You can always spraypaint your car
By EG {FIVE-500}
OleFolk wrote:Next time please dont write in all caps

My father painted his 50's work truck with a paintbrush, you where able to see all of the brushmarks and lines. I am considering this for my car just because its badass lol

Ive seen a car painted with a roller and it came out pretty cool. Its all uniform it just has a slight texture to it.

I dont know the process they took before spray guns.
Im sure you can find it somewhere online.
You can always spraypaint your car

sorry to all about the caps just started typing and didnt realise.

ive been searching online but nothink is coming up for it i will do a more furer search later tonight. would u mind putting up a pic of ur fathers truck just so i can see what it looks like if it wouldnt be to much hassle im interested to see what it looks like :thumb:
By FunctionX
#225817 My friend painted his car a cream white with a paint roller and it came out really clean. Better than any paint shop's job.
By EG {FIVE-500}
FunctionX wrote:My friend painted his car a cream white with a paint roller and it came out really clean. Better than any paint shop's job.

:thumb: i have hope lol. could you not see any ripples or any think in the paint
By JUICE
#225842 here's a members' car with a $20 roller job..

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10221&highlight=roller+paint+job

this is without being buffed even.

says from a little distance it looks perfect but when you get up close to it you realize something just isn't right :lol:
By Gustavo
#225894 My friend rolled black Rhino Liner all over his civic n now we call his car the Tank. :lol:
By EG {FIVE-500}
JUICE wrote:here's a members' car with a $20 roller job..

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10221&highlight=roller+paint+job

this is without being buffed even.

says from a little distance it looks perfect but when you get up close to it you realize something just isn't right :lol:

that actually looks really good i didn't think painting a car with a roller is so common but with little research i have done it is being done more than i thought.
By ghskid06
#225917 air compressors have been around for hundreds of years, longer than cars. Paint guns have been around since 19th century. I think it was in the 20's that they started spraying. Before that it was brush and roller.

On a small side note. I was told a story several years ago about the year they invented the first cheap fast drying auto paint beyond black. They were in a meeting with ford ("...can have your car painted any color as long as its black") trying to sell the product, unscessfully until they had everyone come outside where they had been painting Ford's model-t durring the meetings duration. He drove it home that day and cars became available in other colors. (once again, because previously they had been available in green red grey and blue, but Ford went back to all black for cost/dry time). Is it true? i dunno but its a fun story.