Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By hensondo
#220132 So I just bought my new sedan and I love it, but I just had a question and I was wondering it anyone could help me answer this. My car just got new quarter panels welded on and the areas still have primer paint on. I currently have no money to get it repainted nor am I a very good painter myself. Believe me i've tried lol. I was wondering will my car rust again if the primer is exposed to rain or snow for a long period of time? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
By elrompetoto
#220137 if there is no bare metal out then no it wont rust if i was u ill go buy some rust tough paint at discount and spay some on there 2 be on the safe side
By teal_dx
#220139 it WILL rust because primer is not a sealed surface. it is porous and can absorb water. If you must wait, at least rattle can over the primer so that it is a sealed surface. :thumb:
By hensondo
#220217 So atleast rattle can the area for protection, alright thanks guys I was kind of thinking about buying a car cover and covering it over the winter but that sounds easy too
By speedracer1094
#220282 well this answers my question. My eg8 is all primered and has seen some rain over the past few weeks. should I sand it down re primer and rattle can to avoid rust??? Please help.
By Ajax1989
speedracer1094 wrote:well this answers my question. My eg8 is all primered and has seen some rain over the past few weeks. should I sand it down re primer and rattle can to avoid rust??? Please help.

i had my car primer over a year.. we live in cali. a lil rain here in there isnt gonna hurt ur car. unless u live up in the mts where they lay salt down for the snow.. i would trip on it :thumb:
By speedracer1094
#220303 thanks for the info 94jdmferio. I'm planning on painting it in the next couple of months so i really didn't want to rattle can it if I didn't have to.
By hensondo
#220580 So does that mean I have to sand and re-primer? Because it has been raining here for a couple of days. This weekend it's going to be nice so I plan on painting it
By teal_dx
#220595 Nah a little rain shouldn't hurt. Just be sure it sits out for a warm sunny day so it's dry first or park it in a garage for a day. It's people who primer a car and drive it like that for a year that will run into problems.