Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By bk_civiceg
#206284 I just finished painting my hatch with Nason Single stage paint. I primed, then put three coats of base on it. Its been drying for about a day and a half now. I've read that its not a good idea to wetsand / buff single stage paint because theres a protective layer that forms on the surface. Can anyone who has painted their car with single stage confirm this? Theres some orange peal that I would like to get rid of, but I don't want the paint to start oxidizing... Also, how long should I wait to wetsand / buff it if need be?

Thanks
By Benj
#206334 single stage is the worst kind of paint... un leass its somthing where it doesnt matter.

and NO you can NOT westsand it... what you should do is re block the whole car and then go with 2 stage if you can... and if you know some painters in your area then you can ask them to clear it for you...thats what i am doig when my car comes down to paint
By bk_civiceg
#206748 Wow that seems like a reasonable solution...

After further research, YES, you can wetsand single stage. Single Stage is about 1/3 the price. I went with the best quality and know people who have done the same with no problems.
By carlitosway
#221823 sorry to write on such an old thread but i have been doing a lot of research lately on paint jobs because i am looking at gettin my hatch painted and i want to know as much as possible before i pay someone to do the job.

but yes it is true that you can wetsand a single stage paint job but what is the advantage in it?? there is none because when you do a single stage paint job the base and the clear are already mixed in to one can meaning you apply them both at the same time and that is what they mean by the protective coat on the other hand a 2 stage paint job you spray the base coat on first than wet sand to get all the imperfections out of the paint job to then spray clear coat that is y people recommend to do a 2 stage paint job because it has much more definition and less imperfections.......