Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By Monolithe
#205678 So I picked up a non-running civic for 400 bucks with a clean title, made it run, but then started looking around and found this...

Is there any way to get this fixed? Whats the point of a clean title with that kind of damage.

Got to really looking, and its not the trunk lid that needs to be adjusted, but the rear quarter panel needs to be moved in...

Any thoughts? Scrap the car? Dont want to do an engine swap on something with a bad body...
By Classiccarsrule85
#205680 thats not really that bad unless rust is eating your car thoroughly like quarter rust it looks like thats a result of a weird rust issue.......i wouldnt junk it unless i see the rest of the car...like if it has rocker rust quarter rust as well as other rust issues if this is really it id say its not bad and if you went to the yard or even grabbed some sheetmetal you could fix that rather easily.....

but yea that looks like a newer paint job as originally looks like it was purple and then painted that green .....
By Monolithe
#205683 It's kinda hard to see from the pictures, but the damage is definitely from a rear end collision. The rear passenger quarter panel appears to be heavily bondo-ed. And poorly in spots, the rear taillight doesn't sit flush with the exterior, and on the inside, where it the taillight housing resides, is completely mangled and the housing is like screwed into the metal as you can kinda see in that picture... I'll see if I can find a real camera.

It doesn't have the panel rot like most, just normal dings here and there, except for this mangled corner...

How much do you think and autobody shop would charge to get everything straight and flush?
By Monolithe
#205684 Image

It looks decent, but that trunk it just really bothersome... its just way to bent... I need to replace the taillight housing because water leaks in to the trunk where part of the housing is broken, but I dont even want to touch that mess...
By Classiccarsrule85
#205685 well 1 do not by any means junk this thing yes if may have been in an accident thats what i thought as i saw spot welds on teh inner probaly from a slide hammer setup....that car i gotta say is clean none the less......and to get everything right i would say maybe you might wish to take a rear section cut from another coupe and then have the auto body shop fix it may cost a bit but i mean im a diy'er so i dont know costs of proffessionals so to speak.....you may be able to get ti looking a heck fo alot better yourlsef to be honest....get a new rear quarter panel, and inner tail light metal peice and cut grind and weld.....might be your best bet .....

but to junk that civic not something i would do as its clean besides the damage, and yea if theres no other apparent damage from the accident then id say itd be bad for you to junk it....
By Monolithe
#205688 By junk I meant just sell it before I put too much more money into it. And I appreciate your replies for sure, thank you. As near as I could tell there isn't just a rear quarter panel, it all seems connected unlike the front fender if you catch my drift... so would I have to be cutting parts of the body out? Where would I find a replacement rear quarter panel and interior tail light metal piece? Someone sell them or would I be needed to find them in a junkyard?
By Classiccarsrule85
#205777 http://www.fixmyrust.com/ woot first time referencing a site sponsor lol and

http://www.fixmyrust.com/Product/5133060.html wheel arch

http://www.fixmyrust.com/Product/5134812.html the whole panel....

now for the tail light housing id take a trip to the junkyard and see about cutting one out of taking a trip to a sheetmetal place buying some sheetmetal and just building it fabbing it up dosent seem like itd be something terrible to make .....