Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By ImThaBean
#202191 So, I scored a pair of EK mirrors at the junk yard and want to put them on my EG but I can't seem to find a template on where to cut the door to make them fit right.

I know ONLY the top stud lines up and I have to cut a hole for the lower 2 studs and the adjuster arm (I'm doing a manual swap, not electric)

I got the DIY from this site:
http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/erik/albun31/album104/

And even though the DIY is 7 years old, I emailed the guy about the template. He said he'll look but hasn't gotten back to me yet. I was wondering if anyone else had the template so I can do this swap.
By deschlong
#203743 Slightly off topic, but I'm curious: Do you have a plan for how to fill the hideous gap that the DIY author describes? I've seen that DIY before, and didn't think the fitment was very good at all - it requires some serious filling to look proper. I always thought that any 5th Gen owner after 6th Gen-style mirrors could just pick up some Spoon-style knock off mirrors and save himself a helluva lot of hassle.
By ImThaBean
#203755 E, it's on topic. I haven't considered aftermarket mirrors cause I would like to stay as OEM as possible and I have always liked the EK style mirrors since I had them on my '00 sedan. Once I found the DIY I saw that it would not take much to make them fit (with template). I have noticed the void but can not see how bad it would be without seeing it in the flesh. The pictures I've seen have not given me a clear picture on how bad it is.

As for the Spoon "reps", All I hear is bad from them. The design leads the glass to be in a horrible position to where you "CAN'T SEE SH!T!". I have learned this first hand from driving my roommates '92 hatchback with the "reps". There is limited adjustment and they are tucked in to close to the car that for daily driving is not worth the hassle. I have read of people taking the mirrors apart and doing some modifications to the pivot points to gain more field of vision but I don't see the point. The more I sit and wait for the heat to pass, the more I think about just selling the mirrors and axing the project. This is mainly due to the fact that I would not only need to cut and modify the door metal to mate the mirrors, but since I have manual mirrors now and the EK mirrors are also manual, I would have to trim and modify the plastic trim piece too since the adjuster knob is is a different location as well.
By deschlong
#203761 I realize opinions are like ass holes (ie., everybody's got one), but I am really going to have to concur with your assessment that the project should be abandoned ... I just don't think the time and effort will yield satisfactory results, unless you are dedicated to lots and lots of time and lots and lots of effort. And for what? Mirrors that are a bit different, but don't increase the functionality or useability or safety of you or your vehicle.

With respect, I believe your time would be better invested on prioritizing some of those great functional/comfort mods I recall you mentioning!
By Vti93T
#203772 my bf had ek mirrors on his hatch and that thing looked horrible..the mirrors are too bulky for our year cars..just my .2 though
By Greasedmonkey
#203799 Image

my car back in the day with ek mirrors. Dont do it.
By ImThaBean
#203801 Every day I lean more and more to the NOT side, but do you have any specific reasons why Greasedmonkey?