Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By zimtimtim
#199134 Hi Guys - I have just been doing some rust work on my civic in the classic spots on these cars.

As the car is Frost White, NH-538 i will try feather and blend. I've just put a check coat of primer on but the it seems to separate. It seemed to be a recaction between the primer and old lacquer but I looking up the paint code there is no lacquer? here's a pic - what do you think?

[/url]
By teal_dx
#199157 is the white paint the factory paint?
What kind of primer are you using?

The factory paint should be a urethane instead of a lacquer.

It looks like the only place this happened was where the old paint was sanded through. So I think it is what is below the white paint that is reacting with your primer. See how only the very edge is lifting.
By zimtimtim
#199197 teal_dx - its exactly that. There is an outline where ever i have sanded through. I'm just using a standard auto primer in grey.

Do you think i should chang primers? or just sand back some more

thanks
By teal_dx
#199206 I might try sanding a little more and giving it another try since you already bought the primer.
If it happens again though you might want to try another kind.
If you're priming over bare metal, Self Etching Primer is better.
By zimtimtim
#199286 OK - i gave it another shot. Sanded more 'good' paint back and coated again...Where i have taken the first coat of white off this is where the problem comes - here are the before and after pics...