Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By 93da_
#195079 so i bought a 93 eg hatch, for cheap but theres one problem
the last owner went bondo crazy and molded the rear bumper and sideskirts to the body, even took off the sidemoldings and bondo'd over it too.. theres even bondo on the quarterpanels.

what i want to do is sand all the bondo off to the metal and have it look completely stock, weld new qp's and rockers, then prep for paint. i still needa get a complete front end..

would i be better off finding a new shell and save the headache? or would it not be as bad as i think? ill post pics
Last edited by 93da_ on Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 93da_
#195083 Image
the rear is perfectly fine

ill post better pics of the body later
Last edited by 93da_ on Tue May 18, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By chilango41
#195089 Ummm
I think the pics failed.
By 93da_
#195090 fixed.
By teal_dx
#195094 that's not too bad... get a heavy duty grinder/sander and have at it!

I'm not sure if the plastic parts will be re-usable. Can't really sand them too much or use a wire wheel w.o leaving scratch marks.
By dbrooks
#195113 Listen to what teal said! At least you can get new plastics for not too much.

Good luck :thumb:
By BurqueB16
#195145 why do you wanna put back on the side moldings it looks like they did a decent job :?
By 93da_
#195223 thanks for the replies guys, but i wasnt planning on putting the sidemoldings on, i just wanted the indent to be there. looks better in my opinion
By 93da_
teal_dx wrote:that's not too bad... get a heavy duty grinder/sander and have at it!

im scared that if i take a grinder to it, ill damage the metal, i dont really have any experience with a grinder, just a sander :?
By teal_dx
#195301 a grinder will go through bondo in a second. you'll have to hold it on metal for a while for it to go through.
Just keep it moving and not sitting in one spot and you'll be good. :thumb:
By JUICE
BurqueB16 wrote:why do you wanna put back on the side moldings it looks like they did a decent job :?

they won't last if they just smeared in an ass load of bondo....
By forcefedEG
JUICE wrote:
BurqueB16 wrote:why do you wanna put back on the side moldings it looks like they did a decent job :?

they won't last if they just smeared in an ass load of bondo....

x2 the boy before me did my boosted car that way, im fixing it this fall hopefully
By 93da_
teal_dx wrote:a grinder will go through bondo in a second. you'll have to hold it on metal for a while for it to go through.
Just keep it moving and not sitting in one spot and you'll be good. :thumb:

thanks man.
i contacted my nearest scrapyard and i was told that i could get this entire piece for $20 each side.. except i have to cut it out myself..

i think thats a good price.. considering i still gotta repair this damage for body integrity. and that i want very little to no bondo on this car, since im going to be using it as a summer car.

im guessing i have to use an air cutoff tool for this?
By chilango41
#195341 :o You better get on that!!!