Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By Gorveatt
#19922 Well i don't like how my car only had two of the four tail light light up when you brake, so i decided to fix that problem
Before:
you will need:
1 Rolls of 18 gauge wire
Electrical Tape
2 Brake light bulb sockets(got mine from a salvage yard Like these
wire strippers
10mm socket wrench
8mm socket wrench(if you remove tail light)
2 1157 bulbs

Estimated work time 30mins-1hour.

Ok start by removing the covers for the tail lights, then pull out the sockets below the reverse lights, then remove the plastic part of the interior at the back above the spare tire(it's only held in by clips). Then remove the 10 mm sockets that hold the plastic interior on the sides, the green wire hanging out is the one you will add

Then lead the wire through the same hole that the factory harness goes through, and cut a small hole in the rubber and slide the wire through that, here is a pic of the path it should take

I cut the wires on the old light too short and had to remove the tail light to splice them. The factory colors on the car are Black, Red Black, and Green white, the 18 gauge wire i got was green so it worked out well for color coordination, obviously since i got the sockets from a civic at the scrap yard they are the same colors as my car on the harness, so connect the wires according to color(note the sockets i got did not fit perfectly into their new home, so i had to trim it to fit, the socket had 3 pegs to hold it in place where the fitting had 2)

Now since the bolts have been removed for the interior run the green wire up behind the plastic interior, and bring it out the hole, then splice the Green/white wire that goes to the factory brake light so that you have about 3mm of exposed wire, then wrap the new wire around that exposed spot and tape it up.

place bulbs back into their proper spots and move onto the second side, and repeat

I know some of this would have been ALOT easier if you use shrink wrap or soldering, but i didn't have a lighter for the shrink wrap nor a soldering gun, if you really want to ensure a snug fit with the wires you can also use some wire clamps of some sort.

So in conclusion i am very happy with the results from my modification as it looks 100 times better, i hope this will come in useful for people that wanted to do this before, and i am pretty sure that this is the first DIY posted for something of this sort(well i only looked on Jdmcivic.com and Honda-tech) but now Civic-eg.com has something that Honda-tech does not
and last but not least the results
After:

JDM-Chick's Car
Last edited by Gorveatt on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By da90_2
#20014 pretty neat but arent the outers suppose to be the ones that light up when you hit the brakes

you have me worried LOL
By york62
da90_2 wrote:pretty neat but arent the outers suppose to be the ones that light up when you hit the brakes

you have me worried LOL

they still will be...along with the inner ones now!!
By jdmpassword562
york62 wrote:
da90_2 wrote:pretty neat but arent the outers suppose to be the ones that light up when you hit the brakes

you have me worried LOL

i did this the other day and only left side works for the inner and when headlights is on the power for the inner tail lights shuts off
By Benj
#43349 dude good stuff, i like how in the last pic where you are showing the finished product you blank out you licence plate but in the first pic you dont figured i should say something but good job :thumb:
By york62
jdmpassword562 wrote:
york62 wrote:

you have me worried LOL

i did this the other day and only left side works for the inner and when headlights is on the power for the inner tail lights shuts off

Umm Govertt? Any input?
By sdots
#60485 Hey dude, new here, certainly interesting around the topics :)
Just wanted to know, what about this wiring on a Coupe, because the tailgate folds up not down. Is it just a case of using more wire and tidying it up?

Thanks in advance
By Gorveatt
sdots wrote:Hey dude, new here, certainly interesting around the topics :)
Just wanted to know, what about this wiring on a Coupe, because the tailgate folds up not down. Is it just a case of using more wire and tidying it up?

Thanks in advance

Don't know about a coupe, i got the idea from driving behind one
By Civic_HatchSI
sdots wrote:Hey dude, new here, certainly interesting around the topics :)

Thanks in advance

the coupes tails already light up. the inner lights and outer.
By BLACKS' COUPE
#60505 true, but what if the previous owner ripped all the wiring from the center lights? can i just pull power from the outer lights since both sets are going to be doing the same thing??? :?
By Gorveatt
BLACKS' COUPE wrote:true, but what if the previous owner ripped all the wiring from the center lights? can i just pull power from the outer lights since both sets are going to be doing the same thing??? :?

I don't see why not, just use the same method i used then just extended the wire up around then into the trunk lid and to the lights
By sdots
#62067 Did mine, didn't have any loom in the boot lid for the full set, so I'm not too sure which coupe's have this as standard. But worked fine, Going to relocated the foglight. Maybe have it inserted into the rear bumper or bracketed lower to the bumper. Will post pics up when I can :D
By -EG8-
#62661 Wow, whats really funny, is that just the other night, the owner of my civic, that had it before me, must have done them, LOOKS MINT!
By RAKUN
#63469 i have some questions about the electrical in my car
i took some pictures how the taillights look in my hatch

this cable is for what exactly???

three of the wires are conected but the other is not why???

this is how the bulbs look
By Blk95coupe
#77665 On my Coupe all mine light up :?