Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By chrono404
#124830 Teal Posted up what Paint to get paint your stock usdm corners into Amber. I Didn't get the same paint but this is how I Painted my Corner lights, Figured I would post up a DIY.

List of Parts:
>- Tamiya ps-43 translucent orange Paint
>- Steel Wool
>- Corner Lights

1) Take off your Corner Lights
2) Clean off the Corner Lights Thoroughly, I only needed to Rub them off with a Rag.
3) Scrub with Steel Wool, This gives the paint area to stick to.
4) Paint, Use light Coats.
5) Install Lights after Dry

After:

Installed:
Last edited by chrono404 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Chance
#124832 :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#124842 looks good, where did you get that paint at??
By dawg316
#124847 any close up pics of the amber lights? on a scale of 1-10 how did it turn out for you ?
By matt is (eg6)
#124879 i was waiting for somebody to post a diy after teal said something about it....where did you get the paint at??? i looked at walmart and couldnt find any
By chrono404
94_jdm_ferio wrote:looks good, where did you get that paint at??

Local Hobby shop "Blitz Hobbies" I went in looking for stained Glass Paint like Tealdx mentioned but after explaining what it was for shop keeper pointed This paint out. It was like 3.75 a can at the store. All online prices seam more expensive. 1 can Painted both lights, and feels like it has enough paint to do my buddys as well.

dawg316 wrote:any close up pics of the amber lights? on a scale of 1-10 how did it turn out for you ?

8 or 9, Thats only becouse the Corner lights already had defects and chips, However the Paint Turned out Perfectly.

I Dont have any close up Pics, I will add some later.

When I first Sprayed them, they turned Yellow, However 4-6 Coats later they where a nice amber. :thumb:
By egkhmer
#129451 i did the same thing to my eg, same paint same method, comes out really good
By Boban
#129863 that looks pretty good, compared to mine :(

One question, how come you didn't pull your lenses off and do it from the inside, would last way longer

I might see if i can track down some transparent paint and re-do mine
By EJcivic732
#169021 i just did mine the other day. they came out pretty good but not completely amber so imma hit it with couple more coats and hopefully that will make a differance.

but i got my paint from Micheals arts and craft store it was listed as transparent stained glass paint

ill have a new pic up soon incase anyone wants to see how it came out.

cost $10 for the can/ $22.oo for some ebay corners Free shipping
not sure if im sold on painting'em yet or maybe i bought the wrong color
By pinky
#169032 This would have been handy to know before I bought some amber ones a week ago. I had clear ones, but they look to goofy, lol.
By Carfanatic
#169036 is paint staying on without a clear coat?

Would be nice to paint my fog lights more yellow, like this...
By chrono404
#169042 Image

Its been 6 months since I painted them, I did not put any clear coat on them, There is no chips, no flaking.

As long as you give the paint something to stick to(Using the steel wool) You wont have any issues.

As to why didn't I take them lights apart and paint the inside.
That's becouse I didn't want to take the lights apart. Painting on the outside has worked so far and it looks good IMO.
By deschlong
#170830 Great idea, and well done. Looks good.