What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By andyc
#198422 Hey Guys,

Im gonna do this at the weekend although my wheels have been sprayed before by the last owner and the paint is all bubbling and peeling so I want to remove all of it and bring them to bare metal before starting... whats the best way to do this without scratching the hell out of them???

I have nice OEM wheels so want these to look new again :eekdance:
By teal_dx
#198442 To remove all of the old paint, use a paint stripper or aircraft remover. Gloves & ventilated area... it's nasty stuff!

You'll want a slightly scuffed surface though so the new paint will have something to bite to :thumb:
By andyc
#198474 Cheers Teal, Ill get on the case Saturday! :)
By andyc
#201596 is there much benefit to waiting till the tyres are off to do this? I dont want the nitromors to mess up my tyres... has anyone used nitromors on wheels? is it actually that bad for tyres??
By teal_dx
#201621 it's only better because you don't have to mask the tires off and you can be sure you'll get paint on the very outer edge of the rim where it is close to the tire.
By asianrob
#201691 teal those rims on the DS kinda look like these..

By Beatdowncivic
#205151 what would be the process of getting my wheels ready to primer since they are chrome? and whats the easiest way to get those edges cleaned up where they dont look so gnarly
ImageImage
By Kurtis
#205167 Teal_dx, I am in love with your car! lol
The paint choices look amazing, not just the colors but the texture of the wheels makes the car look very clean. Not all flashy and "blinged" out.
By jerko
#207019 Teal, did you clear coat these at all or just leave them paint with no protection? I just did mine and dont know what to do
By jerko
#207060 Thank you..You've washed them and nothing happened? Im just nervous to wash them...after they've dried completly of course.
By evarela28
#250750 i know this diy is pretty old but man your wheels came out great.. i had a question though i just bought these rims and they were painted poorly.. i read on here that i can use aircraft stripper to remove the old paint. my question is once its removed can i use the other diy on how to polish my rims to make the stock look come back to life.. any help would be great.
thanks

By teal_dx
evarela28 wrote:i know this diy is pretty old but man your wheels came out great.. i had a question though i just bought these rims and they were painted poorly.. i read on here that i can use aircraft stripper to remove the old paint. my question is once its removed can i use the other diy on how to polish my rims to make the stock look come back to life.. any help would be great.
thanks

yes :thumb: :thumb: