What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By teal_dx
#8261 I painted my 16" rims (that don't match)
I was thinking about doing a colored lip on these a while back, but I went with all black to draw less attention to them.

First I cleaned the heck out of them. Remove any dirt, brake dust, tar...

Clean them inside and out. I've had these wheels for almost 5 years, hard to believe they got so clean huh? The secret is to wax the wheels when they're brand new. Just a yellow Carnuba paste wax like you'd wax your car. When you get to the inside of the rim where the dirt will build up, wax on, but don't wipe it off. Sure it will make the inside of your rim appear a little dull, but who really looks there? The grime will build on top of the wax and then if you ever want them spotless, it's much easier to clean off!

Next I scuffed up the original clear coat using a red scotch brite pad.

Here they are ready for Primer. Yeah that's packing tape I used to mask off the sidewall... didn't have any masking tape.

I used Self Etching Primer for a better bond. This stuff works good on bare metal too.

Notice how light the coats are. Heavy coats can run and take a lot longer to dry. many light coats is always better then one heavy coat!

another primer coat...

All done with primer. 3 coats on the face of the rim...

2 coats on the insides

I used Duplicolor Wheel Coating # HWP104 Satin Black
http://duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html
Image when you paint with the wheel paint, also do light coats.

Image same for the insides... it will take a few coats to cover the primer but be patient.

it was dark out by the time I finished, so I only have these crappy pics taken with a flash, until I can get some day time pics. The finish looks just right... not glossy like car paint, but not flat like primer. Just a little bit of luster :woot:
By Jsa-SIR2
#8264 like it, they look fresh!

referb king strikes agian! :D
By vtec_gloucester
#8270 and you heard it here first :woot:
By ohDirka
#8277 looks awesome i was thinkin about doin this on my rims but wasnt sure exactly how to do it...now i do :thumb: so im going to get the stuff tonight and do it
By Graham
#8291 You make every job look so easy, ive got a set of wheels here i started ages ago and havent finished yet - theyre a really awkward shape :lol:
By chicken rapp
#8386 I guess having them black hides how ugly the styling is. Congrats.
By hondajunkee
#10479 lookin good, ive been i a wheel painting kick myself and painted almost all the sets i have sitting around, even a set of steelies just cuz i was bored haha
By chnzgoofball
#23410 nice!! :thumb:
By Bouli
#23423 dude.. get some silicon spray for your tires !!! your tires are grey atm :D

but rims look nice tho !!