What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By vince72310
#358575 I am interested in buying a tire that will last just as long as a normal tire but also good for the track! I DD my car everyday and see some autocross events here and there when i can i plan to try out for VtecClub in May so ill need a good tire that will last. I want the "wear and tear" of a dd tire but the grip of a track tire. What would you recommend? i have been looking into the dunlop direzza zii star spec. I live in Cali so i dont have to worry about the snow and spring/summer is coming and boy does it get HOT!
By Driv-it-hard
#358577 Vince,
Here is the problem,
The tire wear that you are going to get on a normal tire, mean TOURING style tire will be completely different of a Sport tire with a soft compound and far less with a Drag/Track tire.
There are some companies out there that do make cross tires that can used for drag/track and street. Taking close inspection of the tire, you will find the tread depth, tire wear and compound will change from tire to tire and will handle differently on extended time of use on both track and DD. My suggestion to you would be to find a set of wheels at a good price and spend the money a "R" rated tires for the track. These tire are designed for track use only and will give you the best driving experience for the track. At the end of your session, you have to change wheels and may also have to change break pads as well. Break pads would be a different thing.
I am building my car to do what you planning as well. I live in Florida and my car is being setup to be DD and also to driven to the track . I will be picking up a second set of wheels and tires for this.
Hope this help.