What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By Wicked
#342427 So I'm curious the smaller the aspect ratio the less overall tread you get with the tire right? I cant seem to find any info regarding this. But looking at my ladys car she has 55's and I have 40's It looks like her tread is much much deeper then mine. Just curious if anyone can clear this up.
By egsedanguy
Wicked wrote:So I'm curious the smaller the aspect ratio the less overall tread you get with the tire right? I cant seem to find any info regarding this. But looking at my ladys car she has 55's and I have 40's It looks like her tread is much much deeper then mine. Just curious if anyone can clear this up.

well if you have for example. 205/55/16. 205 is the width of the tire. 55 is how tall the tire is. 16 is rim size. are you compairing the same brand tire? the tread depth should be the same. each tire has diff depth depending on compound the tire is made of. also depend on if the tire is all season, dry, wet etc. dont know if this help :thumb:
By teal_dx
#342444 New passenger car tires all have about the same amount of tread when new (9/32"). The aspect ratio is just the height of the sidewall. So a 55 series tire will have a much taller sidewall than a 40 series tire. Maybe your 40 series tire's tread depth is less because her 55 series are newer or not wearing as fast?
By Wicked
#343467 The main reason I want to know if the depth is dependent on the side wall is because I just got me some 16x8's and I'm wondering If I run a stretch on a 195/40 or a slight stretch on a 205/45 tire, with that stretch will it be about equal in diameter to a 215/35. 35R gives me the closest to OEM dimensions but my calculator doesn't account for stretch.

However if there is more tread on a 45 and if it stretched is almost equal to the same diameter as the 35 i would prefer the longer tire life to the better fit. Because these things are expensive...
By m578elb
#344909 All the passenger car tyres are same thread, 7.6mm and you can use 6.0mm, I think that 205-45 it will be the same as 215-35, but the only way is to try it.