What fits best, Weights & Sizes

real wheels or fake wheels

13%
87%
By jefferydclark
#339862 what do you folks consider "fake" and what is "real"? I've always wondered...is it a price range? do the wheels have to be more than 1 piece to be "real"...why judge someone because they have "fake" wheels? say I have saved for 6 months(between having a life, paying a mortgage and supporting a wife and kids) and I get up like a thousand dollars. I want something to make my car look nice so I buy some rota's or drags? or whatever brand you want to put in there that are "fake". whats the deal with that? i'd love to afford some 2k dollar works meisters but my budget is 1k for wheels and tires. I have no problem with people spending 2k on wheels or 1k or even 600. why is the Honda world so full of pricks that a guy cant spend 600 bucks on some wheels without getting burned for it. i'm just wondering what everyone elses opinions are on the subject. lets not take it down to the lack of "quality" builds...a person starts small with cheap parts and if they are devoted, they eventually get better stuff so stray from that statement if possible.

just for the record..i don't have any wheels other than steelies at the moment. I am saving for 949 racing wheels and drag radials =-]
By teal_dx
#339863 100% doesn't matter :thumb:

If they have $50k wrapped up in the rest of the car including custom paint & body work, then 'jdm' staggered 3pc wheels make more sense than Rotas on a show-stance car. But for most cars out there, rotas work just fine.

There's also a performance standpoint where every lb counts- someone may have the pockets to spend a few hundred bucks more per wheel to go forged and save ~5 lb per wheel. Again, for most of the cars out there- fake will be just as good.

Rather then buying new "fake" wheels, I like to buy used wheels in need of a refurbish and do something custom to make something nobody else has OR just buy them if they're a good deal and refinish them to original color.
By Leppy
teal_dx wrote:100% doesn't matter :thumb:

If they have $50k wrapped up in the rest of the car including custom paint & body work, then 'jdm' staggered 3pc wheels make more sense than Rotas on a show-stance car. But for most cars out there, rotas work just fine.

There's also a performance standpoint where every lb counts- someone may have the pockets to spend a few hundred bucks more per wheel to go forged and save ~5 lb per wheel. Again, for most of the cars out there- fake will be just as good.

Rather then buying new "fake" wheels, I like to buy used wheels in need of a refurbish and do something custom to make something nobody else has OR just buy them if they're a good deal and refinish them to original color.

^^ THIS. Why spend $2000 on wheels and tires to please the crowd when getting $400 for the same exact look with a different logo will please you. At the end of the day, it's YOUR CAR. I rocked Rota's on my old SI hatch and people thought I spent more that I did on them cuz they looked like Works and I thought they were beautiful and even held up perfectly when I got t-boned.
By AutoXRacer
#339870 It's your car, don't let someone else build it for you.
Buy what you can afford because in your mind you know you spent enough to make you happy. Real and Fake doesn't matter one bit.
People will love your car for the personality you have put into it.

I am in the same boat as you bud, I have a wife and a 1 year old daughter,
a mortgage, and I can't afford the BBS RM's that I so dearly love. To me those are the sexiest rims out there. But there is no way in hell I can personally afford to drop $2500-$3500 on those. So I am cheaping out and buying a replica that looks identical to the BBS RM's and they are the exact same size and offset. I will be repainting them so they look badass, and match the personality I have put towards the car. These replicas will only cost me just about $700 shipped to my door.

You don't have to buy "Real" to make yourself happy, and that's all that matters is if you are happy with the way you are building it. Mine are fake but I don't give a flying fuck what someone else thinks. I can't afford real so I buy something that looks just as good for quarter of the price. To me that's being smart. =P

Build your ride so you are happy, not for others.
By AutoXRacer
#339871 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtoMN_xi-AM

holy double post batman

edited by your friendly neighborhood admin
Last edited by AutoXRacer on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Phoenix288
#339873 I agree and disagree with you all.

If all you do is casual daily driving with no circuit time or high speed driving, then yes, it doesn't matter.

If you do or want to go on the circuits I'd still go for the real thing. The price will certainly reflect a certain part of "name tax" but also the quality of the alloys used and the balance of the wheels.

There is also the risk of faults due to impurities not removed during the forging process.

Well I base my opinion on the construction industry but I think it still applies here. The forces are not the same but whatever the load, a faulty piece WILL break sooner in time.
By TrailerTrash
#339876 buy the wheels that make you happy.

or just do what i do. buy wheels nobody has ever seen before :lol:
By ihavesol93
#339877 i ran str's for a long time, they are the right offset.. they were wide enough to get traction still.

and last but not least, i think they looked better than the "real" xxr.
By TrailerTrash
#339881 when someone points it out and brags about his real BBS's make sure you reassure him how much bigger his dong is than yours
By Axix23
#339882 lol. I think having wheels that are worth more than your car is retarded but then again, wheels can really make or break a car. You can slap some nice set of volks/ccws on a POS and it will stand out and look great... haha
By AutoXRacer
teal_dx wrote:Say you buy knockoff BBS's… what do you guys thing about putting "BBS" center caps on them? :?

That's exactly what I was planning on doing, I don't care what other people think, plus the ones I am buying look pretty much identical to BBS RM's so if I have the 3D Stickers made and put on, nobody will tell the difference.

I don't give a fuck!, haha