What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By Hoodride94
#320001 Whats up yall I just painted a set of steelies im trading for a set of rotas (see my post) anyways I couldve just did the trade but figured I would paint them because I like painting shit lol ok so im NO PRO at painting ive just painted a shit load of steel and aluminum wheels in my 24 years of living so if you take your time prep everything good and make sure everything is super clean before painting AGAIN PREP WORK will make your junk wheels look amazing!
I just used 96 cent walmart spray bomb :thumb: a red scuff pad and grey pad and rubbing alcohol I think I spent 5 buck and painted all 4 wheels
Step 1.
Use degreaser or dish soap CLEAN the shit out of them! Tire shine soaks into paint scrup all of it off the best u can I didnt take pictures but I think u get the point
Step 2.
Sand or scuff the wheel. I used a red scuff pad its the roughest grit grey is a medium grit and green is finer grit ive seen a white one but never used on and dont know what grit it is but just get it smooth so when u lay paint down it will look like glass I cant stress this enough yall prep is everything when it comes to painting!
Then the gray pad u want it smooth but not to smooth the paint needs something to bite to
Masking(if u have tires on the wheels) what ive learned over the years is to take 1 & 1/2 inch tape rip them in little peices like 2 or 3 inches long
Now take it and make the tape go down Into the lip like so
I like to over lap each peice by like a quarter inch so the tape will stick better this takes time yall but it works the best for me but yall maybe done it different but go all the way around the rim be sure u run your finger nail or what ever ove the edge of the rim as you go to make sure it stays on the tire
Now I didnt wanna waste all my 3m green tape to cover the up the tire so I just used this brown tape laying around it worked fine
If your doin a bright color make sure u check your tape for open areas or else your gonna have over spray on your tires where u missed to tape
now I like to tape off the holes in the wheels because if you paint on lets say the floor theres no where for the over spray to go so it comes out those holes and makes almost like a dust all over your smooth gloss paint
This is a pic of the back side of the wheel now u dont have to this step but I always do because I get better results
heres what the front of the wheel looks like
NEXT CLEAN THE SURFACE!!
AGAIN PREP WORK will make or break your paint out come I just used rubbing alcohol its worked for me many times in the past but dont wipe once you have to do this step a few times
NOW YOUR READY FOR PRIMER
Now dont just go to town and spray a thick coat of primer LIGHT COATS! if you have bare metal get self etching primer its usually green but if not grey primer works fine now if u dont use primer its ok I guess but ive always used it with good out come I did just shoot the black on a rim but it looked like ass so please use primer
Light coats hold the can away like 8 inches do this till everything is grey if u do a heavy coat u may run paint and it takes a long time to dry
PAINT TIME!
Ok again light coats I think I laid down about 4 or 5 light coats and one medium coat to make it look glossy(my buddy wanted a gloss look) another thing it got a little cold so between coats I waited 10 mins and let the paint dry a bit
Then they should look like this ILL SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME PREP WORK IS EVERYTHING! if your wheels come out like ass well blame yourself not me I hope yall find this usefull and enjoy this is my first how to ever it took me all day from my shit phone haha alrite yall im out this bitch peace!!
Last edited by Hoodride94 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By FG2_Andrew
#320005 Will be doing this to my miata wheels soon!
By onibakagaijin
#320010 Great job, looks about brands spankin new.
By Hoodride94
#320013 Thanks yall
By Flatland_EG
#320029 Ever try the playing card trick instead of taping around the rim?
just buy a couple decks of cheap playing cards and stick them between the tire and rim along the bead standing up the long way and overlapping all the way around your rim. If you're having a bit of trouble getting them to stay in place you can always let a bit of air of the tire, make sure you have a way to refill them afterwards of course :D. I've done a couple sets of rims using this method and it worked great, it goes a bit faster than taping plus the cards are reusable. :thumb:
By Hoodride94
#320086 Sweet thanks teal!! Took me all day to post this on my day off my phone sucks haha yea I did try the card thing it didnt sit in the lip to good for me like u said I like my tape haha
By Hoodride94
#320087 Sweet thanks teal!! Took me all day to post this on my day off my phone sucks haha yea I did try the card thing it didnt sit in the lip to good for me like u said I like my tape haha
By Punksz6
#320149 :thumb: