What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By teal_dx
#168730 I did all my sanding by hand. For any curb rash, you'll have to sand all the way to the deepest part of the scratch to get rid of it. So light scrapes are not a problem. bad curb rash is a problem. There's wheel repair companies who can fill it in (by welding?) and then you could polish it.
By Greasedmonkey
#168810 Polishing takes loads of time. Not something you want to start on a weekend if you need the rims asap.
By DREW-EG93
#168836 thanks this helped alot.. ehh i think ill just buy a new rim before i repair a bad one i have :thumb:
By EgCruiser
#169511 Wow , I love Painting rims . I have painted my summer rims 5 times
Winter rims 3 times

But now ; after looking at what is beeing done whit "polishing"

Im gonna try to do it my self

wish me luck :) 180 to 2000 - thats what Im gonna do :-P
By OleFolk
#192180 okay um i hope this gets heard all the way on page 6..

I bought a set a Ls Mesh rims for $100 which i thought was a good deal
Im on plain stealies right now id like new tires and a fresh look.

The only problem is the ls mesh set i got where double coated in paint and once i removed the paint i realized they are scratched.

So im starting with Steal wool and then moving on to emery cloth.

My question is. Does anyone think this was a good deal not minding the labor?

and do these rims have a finish on them and or a clear coat?
By OleFolk
#192192 oh sorry for a re post but instead of just using wax to protect your polished wheels
wouldn't it be more realistic to clear coat them a few times and then use a wax or armor all to protect them from getting dirty?

Also what rims are the the first ones you showed?
By teal_dx
OleFolk wrote:okay um i hope this gets heard all the way on page 6..

I bought a set a Ls Mesh rims for $100 which i thought was a good deal
Im on plain stealies right now id like new tires and a fresh look.

The only problem is the ls mesh set i got where double coated in paint and once i removed the paint i realized they are scratched.

So im starting with Steal wool and then moving on to emery cloth.

My question is. Does anyone think this was a good deal not minding the labor?

and do these rims have a finish on them and or a clear coat?

$100 for a set of 4 wheels is a good deal IMO if the scratches aren't too bad.
I wouldn't use steel wool though. Do wet sanding instead :thumb: Steel wool is not as flat of a surface and it falls apart after sanding with it for a while and turns into dust.

Clear coat doesn't adhere to highly polished surfaces, that's why i just used wax. Notice that most OEM wheels are machined to give the clear something to bite to.
By OleFolk
#192301 ur awesome thanks just had to hear it from someone else.

ur right about the steal wool it only worked well to remove the rest of the paint i couldn't reach. i will start with the emery cloth tomorrow

I appreciate the response
By OleFolk
#201703 By the way I believe the companies solder? Which im sure there is solder for aluminum out there I have soldered aluminum with steel solder but that would be the easiest way to fill in a deep scratch you can even do it yourself.

As of LSmesh rims. There a :x to polish up.
By 92Egsedan
#204629 um how long does this process take, i dont have spare tires to put on my car for the mean time or enuff jacz to have my carr just sittin in my drive wayy !!??
By civicboy18
#207099 damn! those rims are shiny. 8)
By 92civic_vx
#209739 nice diy. i picked up a set of fat 5's for $75, they are somewhat hazy. i am gonna do this and hope they look as good as what ive seen on here.
By reighn3
#216254 Hey teal do you think this can be done to a valve cover too?