What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By Ajax1989
teal_dx wrote:GSR's would be easy because they are more flat and only 5 spokes. Lip is a simple design compared to HX's too.
You want sand paper for wet sanding, the grey stuff.

Use a sanding block for flat surfaces because using your hands can cause you to round down the edges of the spokes. Bur for getting in tight areas or curves like on rims with a stepped lip, fingers work best.

For the fat 5's I would only polish the surface and paint the inset areas on the sides of the spokes. they are usually a rougher casting and would take forever to smooth.

ya so for the dry sanding would it be safe to use a electric sander?
if not i got a block

and i plan on painting the insides black or drak grey i like how it turned out wit your HX's
By Ajax1989
#226857 oh the 1st step is wetsand?
i thought u started wit dry then switched to wet lol

ok so wetsand from start to finish :thumb:
either im gonna do this to my fat 5's or si depends on
if this deal im workin on gose through :wink:
By JohnAWESOME
#226869 So I have these on my 94 VX hatch I was planning on buying new ones but now that I have seen this my ideas may of changed. I was thinking that they might be HX ones but the centers are a little fatter. Anyone think that it is worth the work to polish them up? and hey teal did you do all your wet sanding in the bath tub?

By Ajax1989
#226879 those are the stock VX rims
By swich
#241267 loved this thread. i got a set of rims i was wanting to do.

any way this is some thing people should look out for before sanding down there rim.

this was taken from project rim job
"ok so my biggest problems with this project is the time is takes to sand throught the paint. 5 hours per rim fingers bleeding.

just a side note. the set of rims a had where miss matched. 3 right and one left. after a long time of looking i found a second set which i picked up on saturday.

any way so i thought it would be a wise idea to get some paint stripper. i pull a second rim and slapped some stripper on it and saw that the rims are diamond cut from factory.
Project rim job just hit fast forward.

any way below of the pic of how they rim has come out now.

First application of the stripper

after going over it with a soft scrubbing brush

after the first wash

after the second application and wash.

After the 3rd application and wash as you can see 99% of the paint/primmer is gone.

After a polish. looking good.

did 2 rims today. both right side. took 3 hours per rims. much faster then 5 hours to 400 grit.

PS im still going to polish up that rim i started on but i much prefere the diamond finish.
going up to 2000 grit of it.

Point is double check your rims before spending hours sanding."
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-foru ... m-job.html

hope this helps a few of you out.
By JDM_95
swich wrote:this was taken from project rim job

I cracked up at this! :lol: but the wheels look good man! nice 'rim job' aha.
By darbsnrub
#248224 damn it took me 5 days to polish my fat 5s but they look good
By Robbys89
#248272 good write up man!

i just did the edge on my emotions for somthing a little differant started off with 180 and worked my way down the cast on the wheel itself was like 100 grit sandpaper took ages to get through all the pin holes many still remain but oh well!

By Magello
#251042 Paint strippers safe to use on Sprint Harts?
By 94EJ2
#251095 most strippers will not hurt metal so its pretty much safe on any metal surface
By The_Stig
#258116 Since mine are going to be on my car year round, Im going to keep some clear on em, will washing them affect the paint/polish? Or do i just touch it up as needed and reapply clear?
By M3lowzz EG
solbrothers wrote:that looks great!!! :D :D :D

now i need to do that to my stock del sol fat fives!!

lol thats what i have right now. Im getting ls meshies and doin this to em and keepin the fat fives for winter :D