What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By teal_dx
#175481 I found an old Prime Wheel Catalog from 1995 in my parent's basement. I would have been 16 yrs old at this time and I remember my friends and I drooling over this book as if it was a playboy mag. I've always been a wheel whore and couldn't wait to own a set of aftermarket wheels! (it's in my blood- my first word was "wheel" when I was a kid lol)
Sorry for the poor man camera/scanner...

The highlighted 5 star on this page is somewhat similar to the Ultra Wheel I ended up buying. Looking back, thank god I didn't jump on the short lived 3-bar bandwagon lol

some of these wold be baller to own now...like #223 or 187. but once the curvy wheels started coming out in the late 90's, nobody wanted a lot of these anymore.

I'd love me some of those 251's

I specifically remember looking through this and drooling over the barrels on #189. Last year I found a used set on CL for pretty cheap and bought them just because I loved them as a kid lol.

Now we're into the steel wheels in the back of the book.

Things were different in 1995. There was no JDM wheels or JDM anything. The import scene was still very underground. In a few more years, people would start to spray paint interior & exterior bits.
The only aftermarket JDM wheels were found on race cars that only lived on the track. Maybe once in a while you'd see a set of BBS or OZ Racing on something like a corvette or porsche.

The internet was still a piece of crap, most people used AOL. You didn't buy wheels on line. You went to a tire shop and paid retail. Some of your choices were Prime, American Racing, Ultra Wheels. Offset was unheard of... your choice was fwd or rwd. If you were custom ordering, you would measure your backspacing to be sure the wheels cleared the suspension. If you could find & afford 17", you were baller status. There were no kumho's back then either. If you wanted a performance tire, you were paying big bucks for Goodyears or whatever the shop sold.

I ended up getting a set of Ultra Wheels polished 5 stars (smooth style) in 16x7.5 with Goodyear GT+4 for $1200. Ultra wheels were cheap cast wheels, nothing special... The rims were $600, the tires were the other $600. Also there were no tire size calculators back in the day... The 60 series tires the shop recommended were a little too big and threw my speedo off. 55 would have been ideal, but there wasn't much in a 55 series back then. I has a brochure for Ultra Wheels, I'll keep an eye out for that one too.
Last edited by teal_dx on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By teal_dx
#175482 a little more old school...

They probably came out a couple years after that catalog.
That was just to see how they fit... sold them on CL for cheap.

There's the 189's. I started to restore the center on the right but the chrome was too pitted.

Got dish? 8)
By TrailerTrash
#175493 holy hell you could make a wedding cake in that dish :shock:
By Dippin_EG
#175499 great thread. thanks for scanning y0
By Joplies
#175527 That was siiick lol! Nice catalog ha! Man how rims have changed.
By marvinp8700
#175537 i had a set of 189s on my first truck
By ikon
#175558 can u still purchase some of those wheels?
By teal_dx
#175563 they still make copies of some on ebay... Ive seen 224 & 225's on there brand new.
231's are copies of Weld Draglites which you can still buy new I think.
171's look like Mickey Thompsons which are still produced.
521's are also copies of Weld and Summit Racing Stars are knockoffs of those.
542 = Cragar SS

Just saw a used set of FWD 204 last week but no center caps :(
I'd roll those for the price...
By asianrob
#175612 man id love to have a set of prime 250's or 251's they are the BBS RS knockoffs from what i understand
By {ikon}EM1
#175633 speeking of wheels what do yall think of jdmland.com and icbmotersports.com wheels????
By chrono404
#175642 Awesome Scan's. Thanks for sharing.

Its amazing how styles change so much. Even the lay out of wheel catalogs are different now.
By Greasedmonkey
asianrob wrote:man id love to have a set of prime 250's or 251's they are the BBS RS knockoffs from what i understand

id rock those.
By MG6
#175669 I have similar 130's but by Koning
By CivicEGSF
#176407 Want pics of the american racing rimz?
on a 94 hatchbacc still got the american racing rimz on em!!!