What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By Joplies
#141615 Alright so i have a set of 5 HX rims that are painted black with a red lip. but they are rattle canned so the paint has chipped a bit on them and i want to re-paint them now. But i wanna do it right.

So i obviously know that i need to sand them back to the silver/alloy color. But after that what paint should i use? I have access to a paint gun if that will be the best route. And if so what paint should i use? What works best and doesnt chip easily at all.

Any tips or pointers?
By teal_dx
#141617 if you want the best result, have them powdercoated. but that is also the most expensive to do.

If using store bought cans, be sure to get an Enamel based wheel paint, not lacquer.
Also be sure the surface is clean and use a degreaser before priming and again before painting.

More light coats are better than less thick coats. :thumb:

A clear coat will help them too. A few coats is good, too thick of paint will be more likely to chip. The final coat should be a "wet" coat, slightly thicker than the light coats to dry with more gloss.
By Chance
#141618 Use Aircraft Paint stripper on the paint first before working your hands!! It will take that paint right off!!! Here I took a pic of what i used

Dont get it on your skin, do it in a ventalated area (outside) dont get it on anything else but what you want removed!
heres a pic of my old hx's painted red with that stripper on it... works great.

Then It really wont matter if you use rattle can or a paint gun Because eventually it MAY chip. Powdercoating is BEST!
But Sand it, primer it, paint it with (dupli-color wheel coating). ALL with THIN coats, that is the secret! then you can get the dupli-color Clear wheel coating, works fantastic to help prevent rock chips.
By Chance
#141619 Frik as I was posting.. Teal beat me to it LOL oh well.
By Joplies
#141625 Alrighty thanks guys! Yeah i figuared they may chip eventually but the more i can avoid it the better.
Anyone have a rough estimate on price for powdercoating? If it varies alot than i understand lol. Ive thought about just taking them in to be powdercoated but one thats boring and too that could be more than i want to spend.
By Chance
#141629 200ish for all the wheels is my guess. Call a few places. But really paint is good because you can just change it up whenever your bored.
By Joplies
Chance wrote:200ish for all the wheels is my guess. Call a few places. But really paint is good because you can just change it up whenever your bored.

yeah thats what i was thinkin. incase i ever decide to go crazy and do an odd mix im still able to change it back.