Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By inxekure
#75495 Online

1 posts [100%]
Philly PA
10-22-2008
Report this post to a ModeratorAdd this post to My NotepadSend Instant Message
Brake problems and noises « » 12:37 AM 10/22/2008 Reply Edit

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I drive a 1994 Civic EX Sedan and I got a few problems with it. Hoping someone could answer these ;\

First off is the brakes, I'm not totally sure what it is but I THINK its the ABS. The brake pedal pulsates at EVERY stop. Every stop sign, every traffic light and every time I brake, it pulsates and vibrates like crazy. What could be wrong? A few people told me it could be my brake pads and others say its my rotor. I recently just got my bearings changed for the driver side tire. The thing is, before I got the bearings changed, I've never had this problem. So what could be wrong? Did the mechanic do something to it? ALSO, I hear this ticking noise coming from the dash. Seems like its coming from the passenger side. The ticking is like a time bomb ticking really fast. It goes off every time I go over a bump and every time I brake as well. And yes, the brake problem and the ticking showed up right after I got the car back from the mechanic. I asked him what was wrong and he said it should go away within a week but I don't believe him, What could be wrong with it?

Also, I just started to hear this in the passenger side rear tire, its like a rubbing noise, not a metal on metal noise. More like.. Zink Zink Zink, I don't know how else to explain it but its really loud. You can hear it with the windows down. When I step on the brakes the noise goes away. When I let go of the brakes it comes back.
Its louder when I am going slow and it gets faint as I get faster. Is it the bearings as well?
By benjac_eg
#76112 try to check if the center nut is already been tighten and for your rotors have it check if need to be reshaped or you might need to change the brake pads.

for your problem on the break pedals that somehow dribbling try to bleed the brakes you need to have consistent break fluid in the hose.

the noise at the rear area check all the bushing one it may need to be replaced.

hope this will help.
By Greasedmonkey
#76150 It sounds like your rotors are warped. That would cause the puslating and vibrating while braking. For the noise, it sounds like your pads need to be changed. When the pads get too low a metal tab starts to contact the rotor and make a squeal or grinding noise. But if your rotors are warped it will only contact the rotors at the high point making the zink zink zink noise. And when you brake it goes away becuase the pads are contacting the rotor.

Just check the pads to see what they look like. if they are low, replace them and the rotors at the same time.
By inxekure
Greasedmonkey wrote:It sounds like your rotors are warped. That would cause the puslating and vibrating while braking. For the noise, it sounds like your pads need to be changed. When the pads get too low a metal tab starts to contact the rotor and make a squeal or grinding noise. But if your rotors are warped it will only contact the rotors at the high point making the zink zink zink noise. And when you brake it goes away becuase the pads are contacting the rotor.

Just check the pads to see what they look like. if they are low, replace them and the rotors at the same time.

XDD Thanks bro, it was the brake pads and it was definitely that tab that was hitting the rotor which made the zink noise. As for the rotors I had to get them resurfaced. Now its a lot better. ;D

The problem that I had with the pulsating brake pedals was definitely the ABS. My guesses were right. It was never like that before I got my bearings changed so I went ahead and checked out the speed sensor. Guess what?! They were loose as anything. No wonder every time I went over a bump or started to brake, the ABS kicked in. So I tightened that up and called the mechanic to bitch at him xD.

Thanks Greased monkey, I would have never found out what was making that noise if you havn't posted that.
By smokinsoljah420
Greasedmonkey wrote:It sounds like your rotors are warped. That would cause the puslating and vibrating while braking.

Sorry for hi jacking but instead of making a new thread i wanted to know, can pulsating and vibrating be considered a loud thumping noise that goes along with your decelleration and the entire car vibrating/shaking also going along with the decelleration? if so i think my rotors are warped also. its getting worse by the day. :thumbdown: i also have a little scraping sound but i just replaced the pads so i think its definatly the rotors.
By blockustomz
smokinsoljah420 wrote:
Greasedmonkey wrote:It sounds like your rotors are warped. That would cause the puslating and vibrating while braking.

Sorry for hi jacking but instead of making a new thread i wanted to know, can pulsating and vibrating be considered a loud thumping noise that goes along with your decelleration and the entire car vibrating/shaking also going along with the decelleration? if so i think my rotors are warped also. its getting worse by the day. :thumbdown: i also have a little scraping sound but i just replaced the pads so i think its definatly the rotors.

what u mean? not even braking just leting go of the gas it vibrates?
By smokinsoljah420
#105297 nah when i brake it does it but when im driving i get a small not really noticable sound. (squeek.....squeek.....squeek.....squeek.....) best way i could describe it is if youve ever had a bent rim on a bicycle and it hits every opposite revolution. but with a scraping metal sound.
By blockustomz
smokinsoljah420 wrote:nah when i brake it does it but when im driving i get a small not really noticable sound. (squeek.....squeek.....squeek.....squeek.....) best way i could describe it is if youve ever had a bent rim on a bicycle and it hits every opposite revolution. but with a scraping metal sound.

yea its rotors but if u only have one bolt on the cailper it chould also be that (other thread)
By smokinsoljah420
#105301 http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?p=105298#105298

just in case anyone was wondering about it. im going to take pictures of it right now. ill be back in 15 mins.

EDIT: im back. heres the pics and my girls camera in action lol.

where i think the second bolt should be circled in red...

heres a better further back pic of both spot where i think the bolts should be. the top one is a sleeve which after you unbolt the bottom you swing the caliper up then back to take it off.

also noticed the lca ( :? ) bushing circled in blue is toast!

looks to me like its supposed to be like that. i dunno im prolly just an idiot.
damn that rim is rusty eh? lol!