Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By typeS_06
#69476 So im trying to install new rotors and pads on my 93 Si HB. I have one caliper off on the drivers side, but I cant get the rotor off. I assume I have to take out those 2 phillips screws??? But they are soo rusted that they are just starting to fall apart and get stripped. Can I just drill them out? Do I have to reuse them? As for the passenger side. I managed to get both 12mm bolts loose, but I managed to strip one of the 14mm bolts. SO how do I now get that off? Im starting to get frustrated and I wonder why I just didnt pay someone to do it, lol. Please people help me out!!!

Thanks
By SOHCivegra
typeS_06 wrote:So im trying to install new rotors and pads on my 93 Si HB. I have one caliper off on the drivers side, but I cant get the rotor off. I assume I have to take out those 2 phillips screws??? But they are soo rusted that they are just starting to fall apart and get stripped. Can I just drill them out? Do I have to reuse them? As for the passenger side. I managed to get both 12mm bolts loose, but I managed to strip one of the 14mm bolts. SO how do I now get that off? Im starting to get frustrated and I wonder why I just didnt pay someone to do it, lol. Please people help me out!!!

Thanks

By all safety standards I'm supposed to tell you yes you need those screws. But i autocross my car and have been for the last 5 years and dont have the screws anymore. When I took my off I to ran into the issue of the being rusted, so i used an impact scew driver but it just broke the head off.
just make sure if you arent going to use them that you grind them flush with the hub so you dont have to worry about any nubs sticking up creating problems. A strong bit and some patience will take care of your drilling needs.
As for the 14mm bolt you stripped. You can try some MAP gas to head up AROUND the bolt. Not the bolt itself. You can try some penatrent and a good strong pair of vise grips. Or you can try all of the above and hammering on a six point 14mm or a six point 9/16ths and getting it off that way. 9/16ths is just a hair smaller than the 14mm. Try that and you should eb able to get it out with mayeb a little grunting force.
By typeS_06
#69481 Sweet, Ill give that a try in the am. So If I grind the heads of the screws, how do the rotors actually stay on?? Fromt he tourqe of the lug nuts once the wheel is back on?
By Greasedmonkey
#69487 Technically the rotor will stay on because the caliper and pads are on it and wont let it really go anywhere. But yes, after torqing the wheel down it sorta makes the rotor stay put.
By sdots
typeS_06 wrote:Sweet, Ill give that a try in the am. So If I grind the heads of the screws, how do the rotors actually stay on?? Fromt he tourqe of the lug nuts once the wheel is back on?

correct. Just make sure your lugs dont fall off loll make sure they're on there nice and tight.
By Vti93T
#69663 haha I took the screws out too..once you have the caliper on and the wheel..the rotor isn't going anywhere
By teal_dx
#69736 the screws are just used for safety in the factory so when the car is on the assembly line a rotor doesn't fall on a workers head. That's what I've been told. Other makes of cars I owned don't have them. They just get seized and I have to drill them out, then never put new ones back in. They are just a pain, but there's nothing negative that has ever happened from not having them.
By typeS_06
#69753 So shes up on blocks right now. Drivers side rear rotor and caliper is off the car. And I need the tool to put the caliper piston back in in order for the pads to fit on each side of the rotor. I think im just going to get er toe'ed and pay someone to do it. Ive lost my patients and skin on my knuckles. I have a 14mm stripped on the passengers side, and thats the last bolt I need out. I think I bit off more then I can chew. Im a medic, not a mechanic.
By marvinp8700
#70013 the rear piston screws in. use a giant flathead or pry bar.
By typeS_06
#70070 So I got the brakes back on the car. And im having the same problem as I did before I changed the rotors and pads. Every time the wheel turns it isnt smooth. Its rubbing on somthing, and I dont know whhat. I spin the whheel and it just stops, not smooth at all. Somone tell me what to do????
By typeS_06
#70780 Has anyone ever had a wheel baring go on them? Sounds like the same as what I explained my car is making??