Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By Blackdeath159
#55819 Hey guys. I got a problem that on very hot days my brake pedal sinks to the floor but on cold days it is as hard as a rock. its a 92 civic cx and i have stock front brakes and the rear drums are from an automatic 94 civic ex, anyone got any clue?
By CivicTypeR
#55842 Buy a turbo.
By ChicagoMike
SlipCivic wrote:Buy a turbo.

:?: How does that help the kid at all?? Nothing like cranking up the post count with useless shit. :roll:
By Blackdeath159
#55899 Not losing and fluid. and my brakes have been vacuum bled. the first day i drove it after being bled the brakes were great but as soon as the heat came, my pedal started to sink. could an ex automatic master cylinder be different from a cx manual mc?
By teal_dx
#55902 I dont think the master cylinder difference would cause that to happen. They might use a different proportioning valve. but I don't even think that would cause your problem.

Do you mean heat like the weather got warmer, or heat like after braking your brake pads get hot?
By Blackdeath159
#55908 The temperature outside. when it's like 90 or higher it starts to do it
By teal_dx
#55910 so once it got warm out and the pedal started sinking, has the temperature gotten cold enough since so that the pedal was normal?

Just wondering cause Maybe the temperature thing is not related and something went wrong with your brakes around the same time summer arrived :?

Is your car doing anything else weird related to the engine idle or vacuum when it is warm out? (The Brake booster is vacuum assisted.)

this one is a mystery... If you're 100% sure that there is no air or leaks in your brake system, then I would check the master cylinder next.

also curious why the rear brakes are from a 94 ex?
By Blackdeath159
#55911 This started last summer and when it gets cold my brakes do work fine. I went to a junk yard to get a trailing arm cuz the previous owner stripped and broke the part of the trailing arm that connects to the lca on both driver and passenger side. but when i put the parts on i noticed that the drums were bigger than the ones that i removed. when i went back to the junk yard i noticed the car i took it off was a 94 civic ex and it was automatic an i know that the automatic ex has bigger drums. but like i said, on cold days i can stop on a dime, but on hot days i have to down shift sometimes to firs :x
By flyinryan122
#55914 I've had this same problem. We've had weather in the 50's here, and friday it hit 80 something and my brakes went soft....

I just put new brakes on it all the way around, bled them, they've been just fine, till the weather got warm.
By Bouli
#55931 - Refresh your brake fluid with DOT 5.1

- check the brake lines for cracks or something, or replace them with Goodrich stainles lines

- bleed the brake lines.

- check your brake pads or replace them

- check your rotors or replace them
By Blackdeath159
#55966 I've got stainless steel brake lines, i've bled my brakes, i have new pads, shoes, rotors, and drums all around but i haven't tried DOT 5.1. won't that hurt my lines or seals
By CivicTypeR
ChicagoMike wrote:
SlipCivic wrote:Buy a turbo.

:?: How does that help the kid at all?? Nothing like cranking up the post count with useless shit. :roll:

Ok.
By Bouli
Blackdeath159 wrote:I've got stainless steel brake lines, i've bled my brakes, i have new pads, shoes, rotors, and drums all around but i haven't tried DOT 5.1. won't that hurt my lines or seals

DOT 5 would hurt your seals and so. DOT 5.1 is the same as DOT 4, but with a much higher boiling point