Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By FG2_Andrew
#318681 hey guys, so.. i am having an issue with my front disc brakes on my cx.

i drove the car home when i got it, no noise.
did my first d15b7 swap, no noise.
did my d15b swap, now i have noise.

it sounds like a light metal on metal scrape. like something is just barely making contact. it doesn't start until i drive for 5 minutes or so. i have replaced the pads, rotors, and caliper/pad clips. the only other thing i haven't touched is the actual caliper and the sliders. the three times i pulled the brake assembly off, the sliders were well greased and the caliper moved "freely" (with the help of a c-clamp).

anyone experience this before?
By teal_dx
#318727 I've heard a similar noise and it was the flimsy metal backing plate behind the rotor. It can get bent easily and barely touch the disc. If it's close, bend it back with your hands. :thumb:
By FG2_Andrew
#318732 You talking about the dust shield? If so, it's clear.
By eggman95
#318741 After I got a new motor I had a similar sound that you explain.
The problem was the guy that swapped the motor in didn't put the bolts back in to hold the dust shield between the engine and transmission.
He also bent it pretty good so every once and awhile the dust shield would rub the flywheel making a ch ch ch sound. :? Hopefully that helps.
By FG2_Andrew
teal_dx wrote:Did the car sit for a while when you did the last swap? Also did you replace the brakes before or after the last swap?

No sitting. Did however notice the degree of camber on my d side front wheel is off.. Possible wheel bearing issue? I'm just too puzzled by this.
By Punksz6
#318756 My car started making a metal on metal grinding noise every time i came to a stop. I took off my caliper/brake pads/etc and cleaned the areas where the brake pads go. Made sure there where no metal parts touching or looked like they were and put everything back together and no more noise.

Oh and i do remember when I put on my full coilovers my car started to also make a grinding sound coming from the front drivers side. It was my dust shield that was barley touching my rotor. Hope that helps.
By ihavesol93
#318762 I was going to ask the same thing as teal.. When I did my rear disc swap the new discs had rust and always heard that noise... For about 300 miles.. Until the rust thread gone...

But probably dust shield.
By FG2_Andrew
#318763 IT'S NOT THE DUST SHIELD!!!! I already said that was clear.

Rotors are clean.
Pads are new.
Dust shield is clear.
Piston moves freely.
By EHF22A
#318779 if u can hear it inside the car with the windows closed, then it could most likely be the wheel bearing.
By FG2_Andrew
#318781 I can only hear it with windows down, but my yonaka is now.
By EHF22A
#318784 Only other thing I could think about is the brake hardware.
By Apexracing
EHF22A wrote:Only other thing I could think about is the brake hardware.

Yup brake or wheel bearing. My bet is wheel bearing making contact with axle. Loose lug nut maybe?
By FG2_Andrew
#318827 I don't know what other hardware it could be? Starting to lean towards wheel bearing..

It's just a very light but high pitched scraping noise. That only occurs at (the top?) of each rotation of the tires/wheel. Wheel clearance is also good.
By EHF22A
#318834 Yup sounds exactly like the wheel bearing is starting to go out. Mine sounded exactly the same, I actually drove it like that for 6 months till the wheel almost locked up then changed it. :?