Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By known
#300910 This can be done on a daily driver to prolong the life of your bearings or for the purpose I do it outlined below.

Tech level: 5

Tools: Flat head screw driver, 12 ton press if you plan to press them in yourself but that's a whole different project.

Materials: High Temp grease like what I have used, OEM or OEM replacement wheel bearing.

I Club race with SCCA in Super Touring Lite as well as doing HPDE's.

I figured I would share some of my recent work in prep for my double race in April and the rest of the season this year. I chose Koyo bearings and wanted to repack them since I went down from Integra hubs to the smaller Civic hubs. The hubs were from a buddy that was tracking them, I should have taken pics of the old bearings but they were cooked. This was just from HPDE events and street driving.

The reason I dropped down to the smallest Civic setup was because of the 11in Wilwood kit I acquired. I also have brake ducting to keep things cooler at the center hub, so I expect this to last me at least this season and longer.

I used Amsoil 2000 racing grease, this should help with the the higher temps the bearings were really never intended to see.

Repacking Civic/Integra wheel bearing:

Take a flat tip screwdriver, slide it between the two inner races

Twist screwdriver until one of the races pops up then alternate from side to side until one pops out. This may take a little effort to get the first one off.

Once the first one is out, you can tap the other half of the inner race out (by hand or tiny hammer). I set the outer race on the two plates from the press giving the inner race room to fall out when I tapped it (you can also use two pieces of wood ).

Now you can clean out all of the original grease that came in bearing.

I also popped out all of the ball bearings from the cage to get the rest of the grease out.

Comparison of the original grease(waxy looking stuff on the Right) to the Amsoil Race Grease (left)

I started by packing in some grease under the seal before I replaced the ball bearings

After replacing the ball bearings, pack in more grease on top of the ball bearings and between the cages

Don't get too carried away by packing too much grease in there, just enough to fill the gaps. Otherwise a lot of it will squeeze out when you replace the inner races.

Reverse order to put it all back together, be careful not to damage the seals.

Final result ready to go:

By PirateEG
#337361 What a GREAT idea. I need to replace my wheel bearing... totally makes sense to throw in better grease while they are new!

:woot: