Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By OmarG
#277789 I did a rear disk conversion on my car coupe using my donor del sol. When I did the swap I replaced the booster and master cylinder with remanufactured units (Cardone brand) I left the stock Prop valve in opting not to swap the prop valve off of my del sol (I got lazy.)

Now whenever I drive, the pedal is EXTREMELY stiff, and my front brakes seem to be partially applied. On most days, I can drive about 30 miles or so, then the pedal gets stiffer and stiffer. It gets to the point were they completely locked up, and if I want to drive anywhere, I literally have to mash VTEC and keep the RPMs stupid high to drive where I need to go. Some days I won't have any issues, but for the last few weeks, It's been horrible. My fronts seem to be completely locked up. What gives?
By EJ1_MK
#277792 What model of coupe is it, ex, or dx? and it sounds like the booster might be applying pressure or the MC is bad did you replace it with stock or upgrade to different model components.
By OmarG
#277805 It's a EX. I replaced the MC and booster with remanufactured DOHC Del Sol parts.
By elrompetoto
#277811 it can be a defective remanufactured booster

like my dad always said (if babys r born with defects then why cant a part be made with defects)
By EJ1_MK
#277828 Yeah sounds like the booster. and the del so and the civic booster should be the same even with disc brakes. MC between the two cars might be different as well. I know that the EX is a 7/8 and the SI is 15/16 the ex is slightly larger than the SI but it has more car to stop. Just be wise to what you put on.
By RWMIII
OmarG wrote:Now whenever I drive, the pedal is EXTREMELY stiff, and my front brakes seem to be partially applied.

The hard pedal would possibly indicate a bad brake booster, but not the dragging front brakes. Sounds like a restricted valve in the prop or master,or a restricted brake line. I would check the master first.
By OmarG
#277999 The Del sol MC has one of the little openings at a 45 degree angle instead of two 90's, so I had to slightly bend the line. I really don't think I bent it enough to cause all of these troubles though.
By EJ1_MK
#278000 could be you would really need to re bend that line to make it smooth so that fluid flows freely any pinch could make a difference.
By lunaticracer21
#278046 do this when you drive it and it locks up disconnect the vacuum hose that go's into the booster and plug it back in and see how your brakes feel if it unlocked them change your booster
By OmarG
#278145 I'll try them both tomorrow. I forgot to mention, it usually only does it when its super hot outside. At nights it doesn't really do it as often, and it usually goes away after a while. driving on bumpy roads sometimes helps...

Maybe it's just a weird intermittent problem and these things are just coincidence?
By OmarG
#278352 I unplugged the vacuum hose to booster and put it back on while the car was running. It seemed to help. At least it worked today. I have to drive it a bit tomorrow, so we'll see how it holds up.
By 603 jdm
#278979 have u done ur front brakes recently? the caliper slides and/or caliper might be a lil seized or sticky? but the booster and that line issue would be part of it too i bet.