Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By ForneyHatch
#273524 I upgraded my 94 CX's stock 9.41" rotors with drilled/slotted rotors and cheap ceramic pads that came in a kit. I also have stainless steal lines installed. It still feels as though it doesn't stop well. Recently, I picked up a 1994 integra 15/16 master cylinder and proportioning valve. These components are just siting in my garage now. Should I just slap on the Integra brake ms, prop valve, and a set of HAWK HP pads and expect a huge difference in stopping power? The Brake MS looks huge compared to my CX's. Or, should I just scrap my CX's front brakes and get Integra front calipers, rotors, caliper bracket, and HP pads along with the other Integra parts mentioned? Will this be more beneficial? I think the Integra's front rotors are 10.3". I want to take my car to open track days and need a durable strong combination. I'm willing to hear any opinions. Thanks.
By EJ1_MK
#273528 The master cylinder will help, the prop valve is really not needed until you do a rear disk swap. Besides that you can just put pads on and will improve the stopping power, at the same time it would be beneficial to up to the 10.3", there is more area for the pad to grab. but just adding SS lines and the MC and the pad rotor combo will completely change your braking.
By ForneyHatch
#273533 additionally, i did change out the stock CX rear drums for 94 Integra rear disc brakes. The 94 teg proportioning valve looks exactly the same as my CX's. Kinda odd. Would I need a GSR prop valve instead? I'll go ahead and install the MC and see what kind of difference that makes.
By bks84
#273666 You just need a prop. valve that's stamped 40/40. You can get em from any 90-97 Integra as long as it doesnt have ABS. 98-01 will work too but will require you to rebend all your brake lines to accommodate.
By That One Dude
#273693 Your best bet to find a 40/40 proportioning valve is to get on eBay. I've seen them all over the damn place for cheap. If you can find a 40/40 at a junk yard, more power to you. Integra RS was not a very common model, but is easily distinguished by the lack of sunroof and no ABS module.
By bks84
#273698 if it says 40/40 should be fine...

if not, they're cheaper at the junkyard... like i said you can use one from a 90-93 integra (super common in my area)
By ForneyHatch
#273699 Lastly, has anyone upgraded their cx, dx, etc with integra front calipers, caliper brakets, and rotors? If so, is this honestly a huge difference in braking capacity? The rotor is almost a full inch bigger in diameter. Refer to top of thread.
By Wicked
#273728 Your car will only stop as good as your tires will allow. How bald or cheap are your tires?
By That One Dude
#273770 This is true. However, you can have amazing with shitty brakes, and still not stop as well as good brakes on decent tires.

OP, if you already have the DC rear brake setup, why not upgrade to the DC front brake setup? It will only help your search for better brakes.

Have you checked the whole brake hydraulic system for leaks? That will cause your shit to not function properly also.
By RWMIII
That One Dude wrote:This is true. However, you can have amazing with shitty brakes, and still not stop as well as good brakes on decent tires.

OP, if you already have the DC rear brake setup, why not upgrade to the DC front brake setup? It will only help your search for better brakes.

Have you checked the whole brake hydraulic system for leaks? That will cause your shit to not function properly also.

x2

and x100 on the 40/40 prop valve :thumb:
By ForneyHatch
#273821 My tires are adequate and I have no leaks anywhere in my brake system. I guess i'm just comparing my civic's brakes to my dd bmw. I feel there is room for improvement. First, I'll install the integra Master Cylinder and 40/40 valve. I have 14" steel stock CX rims. Will adding the integra front brakes and brackets require bigger wheels? I'm planning to upgrade wheels anyways if that is the case.
By RWMIII
ForneyHatch wrote:My tires are adequate and I have no leaks anywhere in my brake system. I guess i'm just comparing my civic's brakes to my dd bmw. I feel there is room for improvement. First, I'll install the integra Master Cylinder and 40/40 valve. I have 14" steel stock CX rims. Will adding the integra front brakes and brackets require bigger wheels? I'm planning to upgrade wheels anyways if that is the case.

14s will be fine. Integras had 14 x 5.5 steelies available.