Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By david10072
#227397 I need help on the handbrake. So, I just had a rotor and brake pad swap in by a shop yesterday. I was planning to do a handbrake adjustment. I followed those steps in the picture.
So I did " inspection 1 " I got 17 clicks total when I pull up the handbrake. Definitely need an adustment
Then in the adjustment area, I jacked up the car and loosen the nut on the handbrake to very loose...I checked the wheels the left rim, drags a bit without any handbrake on. then the right one, I can barely turn with my hand.. Here is the picture of the handbrake. I dont know why the cables are uneven.
So my question is what is the problem here? I loosen the nut and cable are free, but my both wheels are dragging really bad.
Is it because of the new pad? but I have already hear some brake pad dragging sound when I had old brake pad and rotor. I start to think maybe thats why I am not getting ideal gas mileage..
And, can anyone explain the " adjustment step 2 " for me? Thanks for helping!
By david10072
#227539 I talked to a mechanic today, He taught me few things to check before I can find the problem. He said it might not be the handbrake itself. If the handbrake is off and loosen the nut, and the wheels have trouble turning.. it might be the caliper. He told me to take off the caliper apart and check all the rubber seals, slide pins and brake hose. All the things above are in working condition. So I am not sure what to look at next. Then I found out that when I put the brake pad on( with brake grease), the rotor can barely spin? I am sure I got a correct brake pad for rear caliper. Then I was wondering if this is normal, when I put the brake pad onto the slider piece, is it suppose to be a tight fit? Is the brake pad suppose to move back and forth easily? Because mine is very tight fit right now. I am not sure if that's the problem, or maybe just all the new brake pad drags? Anyone know? Please any help is appreciated :)
And plus does this piston look like is reseted all the way in ? Or could it goes in more? Also, I reset it clock wise to match the brake pad. The picture is before adjustment. So the position of the piston is not the final position in the picture.
By david10072
#227585 I was told that, brake pad are suppose to move freely in the caliper bracket. So it might be the caliper bracket deformed... because of overheating over time...thinking about replacing the caliper..
By asianrob
#227640 mine pads fit like a glove.

could be bad caliper?
By asianrob
david10072 wrote:
asianrob wrote:mine pads fit like a glove.

could be bad caliper?

I believe its the caliper, I have to hammer in the brake pad... it doesnt sound normal at all :thumbdown:

hmm might be froze? you should be able to screw it in with a disc brake tool you can get at your parts store. or use a screw driver and wedge it between the slots and turn it.
By david10072
asianrob wrote:
david10072 wrote:
asianrob wrote:mine pads fit like a glove.

could be bad caliper?

I believe its the caliper, I have to hammer in the brake pad... it doesnt sound normal at all :thumbdown:

hmm might be froze? you should be able to screw it in with a disc brake tool you can get at your parts store. or use a screw driver and wedge it between the slots and turn it.

Yes, I was able to screw in the piston with a screw driver haha. I bought a used oem caliper, see if it will solve anything.. coming in mail tho.
By asianrob
#227829 hopefully you can get it all sorted out.
By asianrob
david10072 wrote:
asianrob wrote:hopefully you can get it all sorted out.

Thanks for helping tho :)

no problem! :thumb: keep us updated
By david10072
asianrob wrote:
david10072 wrote:
asianrob wrote:hopefully you can get it all sorted out.

Thanks for helping tho :)

no problem! :thumb: keep us updated

So yea, as I predicted. The caliper bracket was deformed due to over heating. I put up the new caliper.. and the brake pad fits like magic.. just one more problem left. I couldn't get the brake cable to slide through the cable bracket on the caliper, I think it is seized just like the dam seized clevis pin..let me try to hammer it off tmr.
By david10072
#229203 So I installed the caliper and hooked up the handbrake cable. Everything is fine. Then I found out the other side , the caliper is deformed too, but not as bad. However the handbrake cable is totally seized. So right now when I pull up the handbrake one wheel gets lock up first. I guess its not a problem, but I am going to try to break down the rust again later. Thanks guys for the help :thumb:
By asianrob
#229219 glad to hear you got it working better :thumb:
By Enoch
#236805 Hi,
you should use this caliper as long as it is working properly. I hope this deformed caliper will not create any problem.
Thanks