Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By ExCoupe94
#188888 got a nasty grinding noise when i brake, turn and sometimes when i pop it in reverse. i guess i thought it was just my car in dire need of a poly kit. after it got way worse i found that all my front caliper bolts were shot (the ones with the grease and boot) and hastily replaced them from some calipers off of a legend, they fit beautifuly. the noise completely stopped on the driver side but i can still hear it on my right... i triple checked that all the caliper to caliper bolts and caliper to bracket bolts are tight and im stumped. any ideas? btw i dont have them metal clips for the pads or the lil screws on the rotors :?
By teal_dx
#188915 screws on the rotors are not needed but the metal clips on the pads help hold them in place when there is no brake pressure. Could it be the metal shield behind the brakes grinding? Had that happen once, bent it out of the way with my hand- it's really thin. Check your CV boots for tears too.
By 3kkl3sia
#189046 may sounds stupid. but make sure that noise isn't your caliper rubbing on the rotor......
By ExCoupe94
teal_dx wrote:Could it be the metal shield behind the brakes grinding?

your talking about the metal plate kinda like pie tray cupping the rotor? ima go on lunch right meow and check that and ill double check that the caliper clears the rotor thanks for the ideas!
By Gorveatt
#189068 After my last breaking woes, i've come to the conclusion that brake noises are nothing to be brushed aside... i'll have to take a picture and upload it but i'm at work at the moment, and can't access photobucket
By Gorveatt
#189078 Here's the picture of my brake pad... as you can see there is no pad, it completely disintegrated, grinding started, then a week later on my way to work, put my foot on the brake and bam... it was like a warped rotor but worse then any warped rotor i've ever had

By ExCoupe94
#189080 so fustrating... when the car is jacked up i can spin the wheel and theres no noise... well a lil from the pad. the metal shield and the caliper both clear the rotor no prob in fact there seems to be no problem at all but that horrid noise remains when driving. maybe it is the suspension its pretty ugly down there. just seems so prominant when the brakes are engaged. oh btw i do have them metal clips on them pads they be illin.
By ExCoupe94
#189085 impressive! reminds me of when i had to replace the rotor on my buddies jetta, did the same exact thing resurfacing was out of the question :lol:
By ExCoupe94
#190703 after my weekend with the car on jackstands im gonna have to say its my cvs. perhaps it has something to do with when i first did the motorswap i had actually gotten a ls tranny with a welded diff needless to say it didnt really work. perhaps in the time that it took me to find out wat went wrong it put extra strain on my cvs. all my boots are intact but i cant think of wat else it might be. :? im just glad its not my brakes