Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By civic_man09
#157813 ok guys.... my abs light has been coming on for about a week now every now and then..i can turn the car off, then back on and it stays off..well after driving about an hour and a half yesturday my abs light came on again and my caliper started smoking...why?? is my caliper fried? i have checked my brake fluid and its normal..what else could it be? thanks guys :thumb:
By dawg316
#157841 scan your abs code. and that should tell you whats causing your problem. its much easier to read a light and pull the code then to take a tire off and inspect the breaks 8)
By Greasedmonkey
alldatJUICE wrote:sounds like its stickin and gettin hot as hell

A sticking, or stuck calipur will indeed do that.
By teal_dx
#157894 and once your brakes get hot enough to smoke, it is recommended you change your fluid - so I have been told.
After it gets so hot, it loses some of it's effectiveness :?
By civic_man09
teal_dx Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and once your brakes get hot enough to smoke, it is recommended you change your fluid - so I have been told.
After it gets so hot, it loses some of it's effectiveness

yeah ive been told that too...its causes thermal breakdown of the fluid or something..but anyways, i changed my caliper yesterday and its pretty good so far. my abs light hasnt come on yet so we'll see. i just thought it was weird that my caliper only got hot when the abs light came on.

thanks for the replies everybody. :thumb:
By civic_man09
#158355 update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i changed my caliper a couple days ago, and my abs light stayed off until yesturday :x .. is their a way to scan my abs codes like you can do the check engine light because the closest abs scanner is about 3 hours away.
By dawg316
#158570 scan it the same way you scan obd-I codes. aka jump the 2 wire's together.