Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By MG6
#157721 Hi All, so trying to take out the rear drum on a DX. Yes, i know, use a mallet and bang the crap out of it. What if it doesn't work? Any tips or tricks?

Note:
It spins freely when handle brake is down, and I don't see any rust as of visual.... but doesn't mean there isn't any rust holding the center hub.

Thank you for any advise.
By itCouldgeTwoRse
#157723 ok sorry. haha ya just kinda gotta hit it and wiggle it off little by little if its being that much of a whore. :thumb:
By MG6
#157726 thanks, is there any location you want to hit? the edge? the center? just wondering.
By itCouldgeTwoRse
#157727 inbetween the wheelstuds kuz thats prolly where its hanging up. spray some pb blaster on it to that will help but make sure you use brakeclean to clean the shoes and inside the drum. if you leave the blaster in there your brakes wont work right (ie brakes need friction to work, oil/blaster = anti friction)
By JUICE
#157728 do they have the open screw holes like the front rotors?? i cant remember. if so, that'd be the way to pop it off. if not, gotta get crafty with the hammer
By itCouldgeTwoRse
#157729 oh shit yer right but i dont think they do.. i think those are just on disks.. but if he doesnt have a 3 bolt puller they wont help much.
By dawg316
#157731 drums can be a bitch to get off. make shure your e brake is off. ( dont ask my why that should be your first step :roll: )

hammer inbetween the lugs, make shure not to hit the lugs itself, you can stick the lug nuts over them just for extra protection.

hit hard evenly between each lug. then you should be loose (hopefully) then grab the drum at 3 oclock and 9 oclock and wiggle evenly.

should come off
By MG6
#157735 Thanks you all. I will try and see hope those sucker comes out easy.
By Apexracing
#157743 my drums have the threaded holes between the studs thread two bolts in there evenly and the drum slides right off.
By teal_dx
Apexracing wrote:my drums have the threaded holes between the studs thread two bolts in there evenly and the drum slides right off.

exactly!
When you hot the drum with a hammer, the impact is being absorbed by the wheel bearing which is not good for the bearing!
Just thread the 2 bolts in, one turn at a time, then move to the other one - and the drum will come right off :thumb:
By MG6
teal_dx wrote:
Apexracing wrote:my drums have the threaded holes between the studs thread two bolts in there evenly and the drum slides right off.

exactly!
When you hot the drum with a hammer, the impact is being absorbed by the wheel bearing which is not good for the bearing!
Just thread the 2 bolts in, one turn at a time, then move to the other one - and the drum will come right off :thumb:

Ok, I do see the thread (one on each side) but what size thread and where do I get this bolt? I assume hardware store?
By Apexracing
#157798 its 8mm or 10 mm thread im not sure which, just buy two of each from a hardware store.