Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By latinochino
#148278 I am a total noob on brakes so please bare with me.

Ok I have a 94 CX and I have been experiencing really bad breaking comfort.

When braking, i exect the to lightly press the brake pedal to slow down. For some reason I have to pretty much, close to, floor the brake pedal to slow down. This to me is too dangerous to make this car drivable.

Also when I stop, I bump the brakes and I feel the pedal become solid but when I keep the pedal held down, the brake pedal is slighty going down with the weight of my foot against it.

I called 2 places and asked the some question. They told me the master cylinder maybe the issue. So how much of a job could this come out to or is it a simple fix?

Appreciate your help guys :) :thumb:
By Chance
#148286 If your brake fluid is low it will do that. Check that FIRST, then report back here with results.
By Method
Chance wrote:If your brake fluid is low it will do that. Check that FIRST, then report back here with results.

i will check my brake fluid today, mine is starting to do that too.
By latinochino
#148316 Ok I will have to do that.

So my assumption is the the resevior tank for the brakes should be full to a specific line correct? (noob to the fullest, lol)

Edit: I found this and maybe it can be helpful for future members with the same problem.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=138503
By GoRide
#148348 could there be air in the brake lines?
By berg89
#148354 There could be, Has your master cylinder ever went dry, then filled it back up? Because there can be air in your lines if that happened. Your brake would react in the same way. So make sure the cylinder is full and if that doesn't help then bleed your whole system.
By latinochino
#148356 This sucks because My car is getting a new paint job so I will have to check definatly tomorrow when I pick it up. I am really hoping that I am low on the fluids because I just bought it and only rode in it for like a whole week.
By Apexracing
#148587 you are leaking fluid pressure some where, thats a fact, check around the mc for fluid leaks, and the lines, and the rear wheel cylinders, my bet if you have drums is that one of these is leaking.
By boredom
#157020 umm, not trying to sound like an a-hole, but the only way to know 100% is to jack up the car and look at the entire system (rotors, pads, lines, fluid level).
By latinochino
#157034 Thanks already fixed the problem. Thank you for the input though :thumbup:
By josephsantos
latinochino wrote:Thanks already fixed the problem. Thank you for the input though :thumbup:

So what was the problem? How did you fix it? I got the same problem too.
By latinochino
#157115 I just replaced the master brake cylinder. Now it works as good as new :)
By ikon
#157228 it cost like 45 bucks and you loosen your lines going to the cylinder, un bolt the cylinder( two bolts ) bleed air out of new cylinder and install :thumb:
By elrompetoto
ikon wrote:it cost like 45 bucks and you loosen your lines going to the cylinder, un bolt the cylinder( two bolts ) bleed air out of new cylinder and install :thumb:

U must bleed at the brake cylender allso drive the car 2 or 3 days so all air is pushed down 2 the cylender then bleed all 4 and ur good 2 go realy importan 2 get all air out the system
By the honda guy
#165625 Also I know its late but check the rear wheel cylinders for fluid in the boots, and when you bleed the system after installing the master cylinder start bleeding from the the right rear then the left rear then the right front then the left front. Farthest to the closest. And just as a tip for people that are opening there brake systems, when you open the system up (crack a bleeder or brake line) you should use somthing to hold the brake pedal down about an inch. When you do this it will keep the fluid from dripping out of the lines, you will get a drop or 2 but it will not drain the mc, it's a nice tip so you dont have fluid dripping allover your shop floor and making a mess. I use a tool that I bought from my matco tool guy and it cost about 15 bucks, its a pedal depresser, it has the handle of a caulk gun with a hook that clips on to the steering wheel and has a long rod that goes down to the brake pedal. You pump the handle to press the brake pedal down.