Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By dawg316
#139309 more problems with my drums. After shelling out some cash to get some new drums for the rear my brake( old ones were all grooved and out of round) problem went away but now its coming back. they squeek under brakeing and there kinda have to dig deep on the brake pedal to get them stopping sooner ( already adjusted them twice). my problem being there squeeky, weak, and some times i got to pump up the pedal to get a lil more pressure.

so far i swaped the drum itself. my guess would now be to replace the shoes or just sand the current ones a lil bit. apply anti-seaze to backing plate on contacts and re bleed the system.

These brakes just plane suck on this car. also the front rotors look a lil glazed and a few high /lowspots. do you thing the front rotors are also affecting the braking distance?

I just need a second oppinion. i understand the braking system in cars but as you can tell im only book smart and not realy that hands on when it comes to this stuff.

plz help me out guys
By Ajax1989
#139346 crappy shoes can make them to squeel
and the front brakes do 80-85% of your braking

the high low spots on teh rotors means its warped
and may be able to get them turned out, BUT dont be susprised
if you have to replace them,or there hot spots which mean you need new rotors

it sounds like your haven brake fade when they heat up
prob casue alot of stop and go traffic and the heat (like outside temp)
or poor venting

hpoe this helps :thumb:
By BLaCkSiLo
dawg316 wrote:more problems with my drums. After shelling out some cash to get some new drums for the rear my brake( old ones were all grooved and out of round) problem went away but now its coming back. they squeek under brakeing and there kinda have to dig deep on the brake pedal to get them stopping sooner ( already adjusted them twice). my problem being there squeeky, weak, and some times i got to pump up the pedal to get a lil more pressure.

so far i swaped the drum itself. my guess would now be to replace the shoes or just sand the current ones a lil bit. apply anti-seaze to backing plate on contacts and re bleed the system.

These brakes just plane suck on this car. also the front rotors look a lil glazed and a few high /lowspots. do you thing the front rotors are also affecting the braking distance?

I just need a second oppinion. i understand the braking system in cars but as you can tell im only book smart and not realy that hands on when it comes to this stuff.

plz help me out guys

swap them out for some rear dics and be done with drums :thumb:

but drums are notorious for squeaking because it traps the brake dust inside the drum. i would replace the shoes, maybe turn the drums, and make sure you don't have any leaks anywhere in the system this would cause your pedal needing to be pressed harder and harder

the fronts need new rotors/pads if you feel the pulsing on the pedal ... like ^^ said, the fronts are like 75% of your stopping power, hope this helps
By sneepereg
BLaCkSiLo wrote:
dawg316 wrote:more problems with my drums. After shelling out some cash to get some new drums for the rear my brake( old ones were all grooved and out of round) problem went away but now its coming back. they squeek under brakeing and there kinda have to dig deep on the brake pedal to get them stopping sooner ( already adjusted them twice). my problem being there squeeky, weak, and some times i got to pump up the pedal to get a lil more pressure.

plz help me out guys

swap them out for some rear dics and be done with drums :thumb:

but drums are notorious for squeaking because it traps the brake dust inside the drum. i would replace the shoes, maybe turn the drums, and make sure you don't have any leaks anywhere in the system this would cause your pedal needing to be pressed harder and harder

the fronts need new rotors/pads if you feel the pulsing on the pedal ... like ^^ said, the fronts are like 75% of your stopping power, hope this helps

i agree i was having same problems i replaced shoes drums wheelie cyliders everything and they still gave me problems so i when to my local honda scrapper and got me some integra ls trailing arm and i love them and so easy to replace pad no more springs :)
By dawg316
#140129 lol would love to have rear disk but being a daily, with no mods on it. im gonna keep the drums. Whenever i get money i guess i can swap out the shoes. brake clean the backing plate and anti-seize up the contacts. If that dosent solve the problem. then im gonna shit a brick
By Ajax1989
BLaCkSiLo wrote:keep us posted, hopefully we can help ya out.....

x2 i already went throught my brake class at school so i can try to help as much as poss :thumb:
By dawg316
#141277 well i tackled the brakes yesterday. took the drum off and to my surprize. there is still brake dust on the inside of the drum. this was werid because i just got new drums and before i put tehm on ( like a week ago) i cleaned all of the dust off the backing plate and shoes.

so then i decided to inspect the shoe. last time i just once overd them and they looked good. my mistake i shoulda looked closer. the edge of the shoe is all chiped ( probably because the old drum was crap) and the primary shoe had thinner then the trailing shoe. im guesssing because the drum was out of round causing one shoe to wear faster or the previous owner only swaping out 1 shoe. but that would be ridiculous.

so more money into this thing. gonna buy shoes for it :x
By dawg316
#143257 Stops good now!!!!. did what i thought i shoulda done. anti seaze and new shoes. stops good nice pedal travel and i can realy feel it respond when i press the brake :woot: im soo happy now
By LaMbErT*
dawg316 wrote:lol would love to have rear disk but being a daily, with no mods on it. im gonna keep the drums. Whenever i get money i guess i can swap out the shoes. brake clean the backing plate and anti-seize up the contacts. If that dosent solve the problem. then im gonna shit a brick

Just answered ur own question here...

If none of this works then get rear discs put in wether its a daily or not, so much better...
By BLaCkSiLo
LaMbErT* wrote:
dawg316 wrote:lol would love to have rear disk but being a daily, with no mods on it. im gonna keep the drums. Whenever i get money i guess i can swap out the shoes. brake clean the backing plate and anti-seize up the contacts. If that dosent solve the problem. then im gonna shit a brick

Just answered ur own question here...

If none of this works then get rear discs put in wether its a daily or not, so much better...

yeah i highly recommend them for your daily..best thing i have done to my car, people are retarded on the freeways and side roads here, and luckily i can stop with confidence now :thumb: *i can't stress the fact that people are stupid enough*