Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By rusty_eg3
#6908782 Hey everyone! I was reluctant to post this but after replacing almost every suspension component, the problem persists.

The problem: with the wheels turned to full lock (to the left only) I begin to move the car and a LOUD popping sound can be heard from the driver's side wheel well.

Replaced so far:
- LCA bushings + compliance bushings in May 2017 + installed front sway bar (it didn't have from factory) - popping noise was almost undetectable

The popping noise got gradually worse over the last year:

- Si knuckles + brakes obviously + upper control arms - May 2018
- LAST WEEK: Replaced front struts, keeping my old lowering springs, new top mounts, new lower balljoints - popping noise still there, as bad as ever

Could it be the steering rack? I've inspected every part on the car, subframe seems ok, tie rods feel solid... I'm honestly out of ideas. I will replace the sway bar and lower LCA bushings since they are 1,5 years old but honestly I don't think that's the problem.

I hope someone can give me an idea. Thanks!
By teal_dx
#6908812 If it was the steering rack, Id think you'd feel some slight vibration through the steering wheel when it was popping. I'm not suggesting you throw $$ and parts at the car without being sure, but it sounds like you've replaced everything except for the tie rod endlinks at this point. I doubt it's the bushings, but it's strange that the noise got quiet after you previously replaced those parts.
By rusty_eg3
#6908813 @teal_dx installing a rebuilt steering rack + new inner and outer tie rods is my plan for the future. I don't consider this necessary right now. I can feel the vibration in the floor pan rather than the steering wheel. Next week I'll replace the sway bar bushings and endlinks, hoping that those are the cause. Everything else feels solid underneath, checked every single bushing, the subrframe, you name it. The car is in really great shape overall...
By teal_dx
#6908814 If you can feel it through the floor, then I might suspect a bad upper or lower ball joint. One thought... when you replaced the bushings last time, were any of them ripped up or torn? If so, maybe the front suspension was tweaked at some point and is slightly out of line, causing excessive wear on a bushing.
By rusty_eg3
#6908816 Lower balljoints are new, replaced them almost a month ago. Upper ones are fairly new (3 -5k miles). And yes, when I first replaced the LCA bushings, the ones from the strut fork were as bad as they can get. They looked "exploded" if it makes sense :lol: Don't remember how were the ones from the subframe.

I've replaced soooo many parts, I hope it's something as simple as the sway bar bushings and endlinks because they go bad before other components as far as I've seen. Now I'm even more suspicious because the popping sound appeared after mounting a front sway bar (didn't have one from factory). But back then it was the kind of sound that only the driver hears and the passengers tell him he's crazy.

I will replace those parts and let you know how it goes. Thanks Teal!
Last edited by rusty_eg3 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.