Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By CAZ786
#6906907 Hope someone can help me ?
when i'm driving my car an i go over a speed hump it makes a knocking sound i was wondering if i replace my suspension rubbers would it be right again and if so what rubbers do you have to replace seeing that i do not know what rubbers you get by the suspension if use can tel me which ones to replace eg. lower arm etc? [smilie=BangHead.gif]
By teal_dx
#6906908 Hi,
It could be the bushings as you mentioned, as well as your upper or lower ball joints, or wheel bearing.
The sure way to tell is to get the car on jack stands, take the wheels off and have a look. Grab the control arms and give them a good pull and feel if there's any play/wiggle.
As for the wheel bearing, with the wheel on and car on stands, grab the tire on the top and bottom and wiggle to see if there is any play. To[ to bottom play is usually a bad wheel bearing and side to side play is usually a bad tie-rod end link. There's a good chance the bushings are getting dry rotted after 20+ years, but a clunking is usually one of the other things I mentioned. :thumb:
By MG6
#6907639 Like what Teal said. Also, wheel bearing sometimes will not show play when you do the wiggle but you can hear it while driving. A loud grinding sound!

The EG is time for bushing replacement as I'm going through that phase right now and changing them out. along with the change of parts, beefing up the suspension for better driving and handling. Not trying to break the speed corning record, but want some handle to the ground.